Author Topic: '09 hunting arrows  (Read 9198 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
'09 hunting arrows
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:37:00 pm »
Last year Hillbilly posted a matched/unmatched set of arrows and each arrow had different shaft material. Well, this is my version...and my hunting arrows for this year.
  Four hunting arrows with four different native plant shafts, all from my property. One is hill cane(A. appalaciana) with my version of a two fletch, another is sourwood(Oxydendron sp) shaft with Cherokee two fletch, one is viburnum(V. prunifolium) with a standard 3 fletch and the last is silky dogwood(C. amomum) with a tangential 3 fletch. All have tied on feathers(all turkey but tangential is goose) with sinew wrap( no glue). Shafts are all self nocked and have knapped points hafted with pitch glue and sinew wrapped. All sinew wrapping and the shafting is sealed with pitch varnish. The knapped points are from 4 different knappers I believe but I can't remember who made what. I believe I got all of them at the camp-o-rama this passed July.
  My hunting bow will be one of last years bows...yew self bow with hand rubbed bear fat finish and pulling 47#@26". All of these arrows shoot well from this bow and hopefully I'll get the opportunity to dye one of them BLOOD red!
almost forgot the pics....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:43:27 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: '09 hunting arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:42:21 pm »
Those things are camouflaged so well I can not even see them.  How will you find them to shoot them Pat??????

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:45:23 pm »
Hopefully they will be sticking out of a deer when I go to retrieve them.
  I just reposted with pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 02:51:13 pm »
Nice arrows Pat!!!  Hope you get some blood on em this year!    :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:59:05 pm »
good looking arrows.. Good luck ! hope to see the pic of one of them after it has done its job.. ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:58:51 pm »
Those oughta get the job done, hope you get some red stain on 'em. I think that side-notched Texas flint point on the goos-feathered arrow is one I made for you, maybe.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:22:43 pm »
I think so and that is my favorite of the bunch. Very sharp. The head weight 188 grs.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 09:46:25 pm »
Very nice Pat.  I like the idea of the matched/unmatched arras.   All primitive to boot.  Good luck,  hope you get them nice and red. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 10:14:38 pm »
they are nice pat, cant wait to stick a deer with the arrow you made me, i hope. if it has horns it will be on the wall even if it is small cause it will be my first kill with a primitive arrow.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:52:18 pm »
those are really nice arrows brother... hope they make you some meat soon.. aim small miss small .. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:49:50 pm »
Mike, I haven't hafted one of your antique glass heads but I do keep one in my medicine bag!  8)
  Rick, if we were wandering about and needed arrows, I believe(as I'm sure you do) we don't need a weight/spine matched set of arrows to make meat.  ;) After all this is primitive archery.  8)
  Tim, it will be my first kill with primitive arrow...my arrow, not my kill.  ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 06:01:24 am »
Nice set Pat,can't wait to see some blood on them. :) They should do the job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 07:51:31 am »
 8) 8) 8)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 09:42:35 am »
i like your varriation of the two fletch.  ;D

good luck!
lets just shoot it

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 08:31:32 pm »
Mike, I haven't hafted one of your antique glass heads but I do keep one in my medicine bag!  8)
  Rick, if we were wandering about and needed arrows, I believe(as I'm sure you do) we don't need a weight/spine matched set of arrows to make meat.  ;) After all this is primitive archery.  8)
  Tim, it will be my first kill with primitive arrow...my arrow, not my kill.  ;D
[/
You got that right Pat. 
Traverse City, MI