Author Topic: My first recurve (still in the works) CAN I SAVE IT?  (Read 8486 times)

Offline JustAim

Re: My first recurve (still in the works) NEW PIC ADDED
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 12:42:13 am »
Man, when you said ya wanted a recurve, you must of really wanted a RECURVE!!! ;D  Now comes the fun part....  Listen to what pat said and make it a working recurve. Have fun tillering that beast! ;)

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 12:50:12 am »
BAAAAAAAD curves!
What I see here must have 200+# I would think!?
Frank from Germany...

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 01:42:37 am »
JustAim you are right...I have a lot of work ahead of me...Im gonna try to tiller it as a working recurve and re enforce the tips and back with sinew...Im gonna be shooting for 50-60 lbs so at least i have a lot of wood left to work with...this is kind of an experiment bow for me being my first recurve...liek i said earlier..you dont learn anything from not doing

-Ky
GBR!

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 04:13:26 am »
Looks  like  a  real  learning project  here,  great  job,
wondering  is  it  usual  to  bend the  limbs  before tillering? I  was  thinking  how  hard  it  must  be  to  tiller  a  curve?
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Timo

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 07:59:43 am »
No woories on the splinters. Brad Merkel,(Little Tree) has been building bows such as yours for several years now and he did a demo at mojam on boiling the curves. He sets them up for a a "prepared failure" meaning he aims for a splinter to lift,releiving some pressures from the back. Some of his curves are much stronger than that.

Steady on, it'll work,just gotta be patient. much to learn with a project as such.I'll be rootin for ya. ;)

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 09:54:15 am »
good lord, talk about a recurve!

best of luck to you man! keep us updated. i wanna see it finished more than i wanna see it explode, but either way, we all want pics of how it ends up.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 10:31:15 am »
Go for it. It will work fine if you got what it takes to tiller it and get the string lined up. Nothing ventured nothing lost.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: My first recurve (still in the works) CAN I SAVE IT?
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 07:16:18 pm »
So I just got the bow out and I noticed small cracks about 6 inches long running with the grain of the back....I thought i may be able to save it until I noticed small cracks all the way through the bow looking at the end....through the different layers of the grain....(It looks like a brick building)...I would like to save it but I really don't want to waste my time/materials to have it blow up in my hand....I think I may just stick with flatbows... What do you guys think? Can I save it?

-Ky
GBR!

Offline JustAim

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 07:42:12 pm »
Did you put the limbs in the water while the water was still cold? lf you waited for the water to boil first, and then put the limbs in the boiling water the limbs can crack. Bring both wood and water up to boil at the same time. And dont give up on making recurves and make flatbows only, this stuff happens. And just how deep are the cracks on the back anyway? lf they're not to deep you can chase it down another ring or so...you got alot of wood to work with from what l've seen. 

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 07:59:10 pm »
I started the limbs in the water when it was cool and brought them up to temp together...the cracks on the back aren't any deeper than one ring but im more worried about the cracks i can see on the tip of the bow....they only go through one ring but there are alot of them...if i can get my macro setting on my camera right ill try and take a picture.....Im planning on putting sinew on this too....will that help the cause of this bow?

-Ky
GBR!

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 09:50:36 pm »
Here are acouple pictures of what Im talking about...the ones in the back don't worry me as much as the one of the end....what do you guys think??  oh and by the way I think if this bow does work out and is shootable Im gonna call her "Everyone's Bow" just because I've used you guys for info so much on it lol  8)  8)

-Ky

[attachment deleted by admin]
GBR!

Offline JustAim

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »
 ;D Heck, that aint bad at all. Those little tiny cracks will be long gone by the time you get done with her. Did you seal the wood before boiling? lf you didnt, do it now so it dont get any worse. Those look like drying cracks to me, or a result of applying to much pressure with the clamps. l'd go and chase another ring on the back though, then sinew it.

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 10:31:08 pm »
Yeah i did seal it with poly before i boiled it...but i noticed that some of it melted...so those could be drying cracks...and now that u mention that i didn't notice them when i finished the boiling process...not until today did i notice them....ill probably chas another ring and put a few layer's of sinew on her...thanks JustAim

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Dano

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 10:37:00 pm »
If those little checks don't run off the sides I wouldn't give em a second thought. Get some super glue in em and go on.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 10:44:05 pm »
Leave em be....if you are planning on Sinew Backing it... Should be just fine......I'd be more worried about then 90 degree bends  causing problems than the dry cracks
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome