Author Topic: Rendering Bear Fat  (Read 15218 times)

Offline DanaM

Rendering Bear Fat
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:37:22 pm »
A buddy just stopped and gave me about 10 lbs of bear fat :) I've never rendered fat before so am looking for some advice on
how to do it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rendering Bear Fat
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 04:12:02 pm »
Just like bacon. Put it in a pot and put that on heat and it will render. Be careful not to get it too hot or it will ignite. After rendering the fat strain it through thin cloth and store it in the frig.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:19:45 pm »
Bear   with  me,  but  what  are  you  planning  on  using the  bear fat  for?
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:32:14 pm »
Bear fat makes an excellent waterproofing for wood or leather. My yew hunting bow has only hand rubber bear fat as a finish. And it makes good biscuits! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:35 pm »
And it's the best thing you can use to dress leather boots.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 08:35:29 pm »
Hey hillbilly I got a pair of carhartts that have soaked up enough coon fat that they stand by themselves, was'nt rendered just rancid , dogs won,t even go near them. Seriously could a guy render coon fat also, just a bears baby brother right.:>)  Later Bob

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:51:37 pm »
You can render any Fat...and if done correctly...it will have no Smell and soaks into wood and leather willingly and seals it against the Elements

Dana ....you are still one of the Luckiest Guys I know....first Wood....then Rock....now Bear Fat....where will it end....... :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:06:28 pm »
Mike, look what Dana deals with all day long. :o He deserves a break every now and then. ;)   

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 11:46:58 pm »

Dana do like they said, just take it slow.  Your wife, will be amazed at the biscuits, and pastry crusts.  You simply cannot get a finer lard, or cooking grease!  It will do all the other things also.  Have your wife substitute it for shortening.  Like I said she will be amazed at how well her baked goods will turn out.  It was highly prized in the olden days, and still is, where bear hunting is allowed.  My buddy, killed a black bear in Montana a few years back, and threw the fat away.  He said it was really fat.  A friend of his was about skin him for doing that .  She told him the next bear he killed, to call her, and she would skin, and butcher it for him, if she could have the fat!!  I ate bear meat for the first time, about a month ago, when I was out in Montana.  It tastes like a cross between, fine beef, and venison.  I have bears on my property.  I may have some bear meat, and fat, coming up...... ;D  My neighbor, said she went on to her deck one morning , and heard something, and turned, and looked, and there was a sow, and two cubs, chowing down on her tomatoes.  She stepped back into the house.  I told her it would not be a problem for me.  I will put lots of tomato plants on my deck! ;)  One of my other neighbors used pepper spray, on one, to get it off his porch.  I asked him if he was seasoning it? ;D ;D  You shold be able to vacuum pack it, and freeze it.  Ask around your area, I am sure, you will get all kinds of uses for it, besides cooking.

Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 07:07:06 am »
Thanks for the replies guys, I had to freeze the fat for now hope that don't hurt it ??? Just don't have time to sit and watch a pot right now.
Should be able to get at it in a couple of weeks. I have a cast iron pot that could use some more seasoning might as well use that eh :)

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 06:30:20 pm »

Dang Dana, don't you have a wife? ;D

Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 06:41:49 am »
Yup I have a Yooperette, she's busy looking for her kromer, swampers and polishing her 30-30 up :)

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 01:46:19 pm »

Ahhh, good fer you hey.  Got one to drag yer deer, and clean yer gun too hey?  Yah, I'd get her a Kromer too.  Dat's da kinda woman I need in Montana.  Well, ok den, I guess, she needs to get yer deer home, clean it, cut it up an all, an cook some, before she will need da bear fat fer makin dem biscuits now hey  ;D......Sounds like you got da lucky number when ya drew fer a life partner...... ;)
                                                                              Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 01:53:15 pm »
Yup I did all right but da bear fat is for pasties doncha know :)

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 02:13:54 pm »

Yah, but ya need some fer da biscuits, and pies, and bread, and such as dat.  Yah, dem pasties, would be da crowd pleasers fer sure ya know.  Oh hey der, ya said she was cleanin "HER" 30 30?   Well den dat is even better dan I was tinkin!  So she gonna go get da deer, clean it, an drag it home, and hang it up, and den later on cut it up, and cook it fer ya hey?  Well now, now dat is indeed sum woman ya got der. :o  Ya can sit home, munchin on dem pasties, an a brat, and sippin a beer, an watchin da game ya know.  You dun took da top prize fer sure now.  Oh hey, ya might want ta impress her when she gets back wit da deer, by usin a paper plate fer da pasties, and brats.  Dat way, she don got no dishes to clean. ;D   I now look up to ya in a whole new light.  Ya know ya should write a book or sumptin about how ya go about gettin one o dem wimmen now, ya know.  Ya know fer sure I would buy one!  An pay cash too hey ! ;D

Wayne