Author Topic: Black Walnut  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Bullitt

Re: Black Walnut
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 10:51:46 am »
John K nice looking walnut! I also have alot of it on my property. I have a bamboo backed, belly of osage, with a core strip of walnut and some in the handle, beautiful and great shooter. It was built by John McCullough of Michigan. John had told me that a simple, good shooter can be made of walnut with a hickory backing.

I wood say give it a try, you got plenty to work with. Walnut makes a great footing for arrows! Handle material. Gary Davis made a sinew backed walnut several years ago that was a shooter. I think he said it had been stolen.Have at it, and keep us informed, Good shootin, Steve.

Offline John K

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 01:53:45 pm »
Thanks Steve, I most definitely will be giving it a try !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 08:23:05 pm »
I really like black walnut I made a 67" selfbow from it a while ago all heartwood. It looks really nice and shoots great. Beautiful wood too.
SW Utah

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 01:13:59 pm »
I've made a couple Ash backed black walnut longbows of 70, 95, 100, and 122 pounds, including quite a few lighter bows. Just make sure the belly is flat, and tiller them well, or else they will fret easily. Brilliant stuff to work with!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 02:36:21 pm »
I'm about to get some BW from a friend that took down a big one last year.I just ran into him this morning,and he told me is going to cut it up next week.I'm going to build him a bow for some wood.I'm really looking forward to trying it. Great success with yours!  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas