Author Topic: Special stave  (Read 5035 times)

Offline PeteC

Special stave
« on: September 20, 2009, 02:04:57 pm »
Can any of you put me on to someone who handles quality,seasoned,osage staves ,at a reasonable price,and runs a tight ship.I need a stave at least 72" in lenght.I have a lot of my own wood,but nothing to pull off a bow with a 31" draw.This is a special bow that must be done by mid-october,for pastor appreciation day. The distributor that frequents this site,Yazoo, does'nt have anything that long. Any info would sure be appreciated. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Special stave
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:13:22 pm »
Pete, I don't believe you need a 72" stave to make a bow for a 31" draw. Twice the length plus 10% should give you what you need to make a successful bow pulling 31" so a 68" stave should work. If you make it bend through or to the handle it would help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:25:21 pm »
Pete like Pat said...67 -68 inches would be good.....but a Quality Stave that Long is going to be harder to find than a set of Billets would be....Pin Hollow gets $95.00 for a Top Quality Stave....Please try Our Advertisers first.....then try the other list I have attached

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6543.msg128570.html#new

Osageorange.com

bowstaves.com

and eBay do a Search for Osage Staves...look for "Le_Enterprises"....I have dealt with Laverne ab bunch with nothing but good deals between Us

But like I said at first....please try Our Sponsors first...and also try in the Trading Post here to...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:00:25 pm »
PETE IM WITH PAT ON UR DRAW   THE VERY VERY BEST OSAGE I HAVE FOUND  IS  DEAN MARLOW   HE S ON HERE SOMTIMES    SOME OTHER S HAVE GOOD STAVES  BUT I HAVE YET TO FIND THE QUALITY OF DEANS STAVES   BROCK

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:07:41 pm »
  I have seen, bought and used staves from Yahoo. In my opinion he is an expert when it comes to osage staves. Anyone that has produced 20,000 staves from tree to stave, is an expert in my opinion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 03:27:56 pm »
I have to second that.....thats a lot of the Yellow Stuff!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:22:40 pm »
Thanks fellas,I appreciate it.I was looking for a long stave to give ample working limb for a stiff handled bow ,with an extra large handle section,(this is a big preacher),with as little set as possible.I only mentioned Yazoo,because he is the only one I've contacted so far,and  had nothing over 70",so we can remove him from the possibility list. Thanks again.   God Bless

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 05:12:12 pm »
I'd have to go along with Yazoo too plus he's a good guy to boot.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:55:04 pm »
PM sent

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 08:05:28 pm »
How big a boy is he?
I wouldn't worry so much about the length either. I draw 29 1/2" and my favorite selfbow is an osage with a stiff handle that is only 62" long. Make it a little wide, maybe 1 1/2" if you are really worried. Turn the tips up a little, and heat treat the belly. No worries at all. In fact, I would be more concerned about the quality of the stave than length. Find someone you really trust like Yazoo and tell them you need a good dense piece without a bunch of flaws.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:53:45 pm »
Justin,I'd say he's 6'4'',and 275#.

Offline Dano

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 10:32:36 pm »
Pete you build a fine bow, just build this bow to the man's draw, don't over build it like most would be prone to. Build your Pastor a bow he can be proud of.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 08:22:32 am »
I'd still think a regular laid out handle and a osage bow 68"-70" well tillered as you're very capable of doing would easily hold up to the gentleman you're describing. Just my opinion... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 08:54:25 am »
A 70" bow would be enough.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 02:29:32 pm »
Thanks fellas.I was a little concerned about the long draw,but I'll  go ahead with 70".Thanks also for the kind words.  God Bless