Author Topic: Molding a Handle  (Read 1832 times)

Offline zeNBowyer

Molding a Handle
« on: September 15, 2009, 02:03:54 am »
Have David  Knight  building  me  a  bamboo  IPE composite  bow,
      I couldn't  part  with  my  bow so  I am  sending him  this  cast  i  made  out  of  plaster  of  paris,  trying to  figure  out the  best  way  to   dry  it  now  without  cracking  it,
   i  couldn't  get  to town  for clay so  I  wound  up  using auto  body repair putty  to  make  a  mold,  had  to  be  careful  of the  exothermic  reaction  of the  material, so  actually  I  don't think  I  will  use  that  material  again  for heat sensitive  materials like  glue  wood  and fiberglass

[attachment deleted by admin]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline J05H

Re: Molding a Handle
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:57:09 am »
Are your trying to make an example to send to him of how you want your handle to be shaped? If so, next time you could try what I do. Get some Styrofoam blocks from the artificial flower section at wal-mart and carve it to the shape you want. It is really easy to carve. It's a bit messy, but no more than plaster of paris. It may not be as exact, but it's much easier. Here is a pic of one I did.

I wasn't going for a perfect model. You can get it a lot smoother than I did.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: Molding a Handle
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:33:09 pm »
We make casts of violins often.   Set it on a couple pencils or the like and let it dry on the counter......perhaps with a 75Watt bulb over it 6-8" away.  Next time, talk to your dentist and get some "Yellow Stone".....casts like plaster but is ten times stronger and will cast details much better.   

Piper