Author Topic: Does persimmon make a good bow?  (Read 7813 times)

Offline StevenT

Does persimmon make a good bow?
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:59:18 pm »
As I was coming hoom today, I notice a neighbor cut down a persimmon tree about 6 to 8 inches across. How does persimmon wood work for bow making?

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Does persimmon make a good bow?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:45:09 pm »
I have made a few bows from it and it makes a decent bow.. Treat it like a white wood.. ;)

Offline xin

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:49:38 pm »
I've never personally made a persimmon bow; however, the one's  I've seen were absolutely beautiful.  I think they're somewhat weak in tension and are safer with a rawhide backing.  I think they have good compression strength.  I would go  for it.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:15:34 pm »
I've never tried persimmon but would if I could find an untwisted piece.  ::)  If it splits straight, yes, it will make a good bow. Other advice above sounds good to me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:05:26 pm »
Pat, that stave I gave you ain't twisted more than 45 degrees or so....;D I've still got its sister, I'll at-tackt it with a heat gun and pipe wrench one of these days.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:14:12 pm »
persimmon

now theres one i havent aquired as of yet
would like to give it a try someday
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 11:34:08 pm »
IV MADE A COUPLE  TREAT IT LIKE WHITE WOOD MAKE UR LIMBS WIDE FINISHES OUT VERY PRETTY   AND IF I EVER MAKE ANOTHER I WILL DEFINTALY HEAT TREAT IT

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:39:38 am »
Sailordad,
Are you going to the 2nd NC knappin by chance?

Offline smokeu

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 10:14:52 am »
Twisted limbs makes some very nice ones... the wood is very pretty too.

Good Luck

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline StevenT

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:35:25 am »
My neighbor cut the trunk before I got back to him, so I wound up with two pieces. The bottom piece is about 7 to 8 inches wide, but it is only about 54 inches long. The other piece is about 4 inches across at the narrow end but is over 6 ft long. They both look pretty straight to me.

I have been reading everyones post since joining a few weeks ago and I think at some point after I learn more about knapping I would like to give making a bow a try. I don't know squat about making a bow except what I have read here, so I may be biting off more than I can chew.

So, what do you think of these two pieces of wood? Is the larger piece too short?  I would like to do the right thing with them to get them drying out. Should I take the bark off?  I am going to clean the limbs off and clean up the ends. Also, I have read about sealing the ends, I think to prevent splitting. What should I use to seal the ends? If I take the bark off, do I seal the whole thing?

Thanks
Steven

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 06:26:13 pm »
Those limbs will cause you trouble! If they were clear wood with no limbs I'd say go for it...but with the limbs I'd say...golf club heads! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 07:04:21 pm »
Yeah, you don't want to go messing with a piece of wood that has a bunch of limbs sticking out of it, especially if you haven't made a bow before (or even if you have for that matter.) What you need is a straight, clean piece of trunk taken from below the first limbs.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 07:12:28 pm »
Steven, are you coming to the NC Knap-in? If you are I'll bring you a bow stave.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 08:08:26 pm »
You might get billets out of the top log.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline StevenT

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 09:48:48 pm »
Bummer. I was sure hoping I had some good pieces of wood.  :'( Well, I learned my first thing, stay away from branches. Thanks for saving me a headache or two.

Hillbilly,
Yes, I'm coming to the NC knap-in. I will be there all three days. I would be most grateful for the stave. Heck, do you need a piece of persimmon.. I just happen to have a couple pieces that will be in the truck.  ;D

I plan to learn everything I can about bowmaking that you guys will be showing. As I said somewhere else, this will be my first and I am really looking forward to it. See you Friday.

Steven