Author Topic: hunting whitetail on the ground  (Read 8804 times)

Offline Dave 55

hunting whitetail on the ground
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:15:50 am »
Got out my copy of HUNTING THE HARD WAY last nite and was thinking it had been a very long time since I had hunted from the ground.Was kind of wondering how many of you do,Im thinking of getting out the old 5 gallon bucket I used to set on and going for it,and maybe some still hunting during peak movement times.
Now is the good old days

Offline sweeney3

Re: hunting whitetail on the ground
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:46:20 am »
I usually hunt from the ground, but not because I'm a great hunter.  On the contrary, I get bored and like to move around, shoot (at) squirrells, etc.  I have three stands that I can use, but I don't usually put them up.  There are things I like about both, but I usually find myself on the ground in some form.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:28:57 am »
 About 90% of my hunting is on the ground.I'll sit in a stand for awhile but when it gets boring I go looking for something to shoot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 11:44:50 am »
I sit in my Stand till about 1/2 hour after Daybreak....if nothing is moving....then I am! I am always in a Guille Suit...and usually carry my a Dove Hunting Seat...ya know the ones that fold up and have the Game Pouch under them Legs.....that way I can get down and Still Hunt and Stalk what I can see....or find me a nice spot and sit in the Chair for a while and let things all soak in...I do better on the Ground than I have ever done in a Stand...but thats here in the Panhandle....ain't much cover....and the Wind will give you away in a Heartbeat too....never in only one direction here!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 11:51:08 am »
   After 30 years of hunting from trees (I was taught that was the only way to hunt deer in the south.  ??? ) I have started "trying" to do more ground hunting either by building natural ground blinds or slipping into and out of my tree stand hunts. I have never been one to get way up a tree; generally 10' to 12' at the most but at my age just thinking that sudden stop under me  :o draws me closer to hunting from the ground. Controlled movement with the wind in your favor will get you well down the ground hunting road and closer to success.  
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 11:54:20 am »
i have rifle hunted all my life and prefer a stand for that, but with archery im gunna stick to the ground. i only have rather small plots to hunt, so i cant move around a whole lot. i have been working on constructing natural ground blinds, and i'll be hunting from them this year.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 11:59:30 am »
I think I've hunted form the air a grand total of twice. Didn't like it. I've successfully still hunted and "played stump" before, and so seeing as that doesn't really cost me any money I think I'll continue that way ;D.

Not that hunting out of a tree isn't effective. I'm just too cheap to buy a stand, and too lazy to build one. ;)

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 01:01:11 pm »
I got a short seat... about 5 inches off of the ground and made a ghillie suit this year and plan on giving it a try.  I can't quite shoot my long bow sitting on the ground but want to stay as low as possible. 

Used to hunt on the ground in my early years but tree stands seemed to be more productuve but want to try on the ground again.  Getting older my have something to do with it too!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 01:07:32 pm »
i have a ghillie suit. you can straight up dissapear with those boogers, but man are they hot....and itchy.
lets just shoot it

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 01:24:01 pm »
About 5 years ago I slipped into this small patch of timber next to a sunflower field and knelt down behind some honeysuckle looking bushes about 15 yards from a pretty good looking trail,abit later I heard a rattling noise so I peaked around the bush and a buck was rattling his antlers around in a dead tree branch that was hanging down,so I wait till he steps in front of me ,pick a spot and shoot high,when I stood to see where he went I notice a doe Quartering towards me at about 40 yds when she was 20 yds broad side I think to my self better aim alittle low so I draw my bow pick a spot and aim alittle low and shot right under her chest,stood up again and there was another doe back where the buck was when I first saw it,by then my brain was getting alittle scrambled so I shoot at her and missed her too,didnt pick a spot,when I looked behind me there was a fawn about 15 yds away watching the whole thing.Couldnt help it I laughed till my gut hurt.
Now is the good old days

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 02:09:02 pm »
ain't hunting a blast! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodstick

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 07:43:26 pm »
gona hunt this year from the ground alot but fixing to have knee surgery in bout a week.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 10:04:41 pm »
 I have a ladder stand set 30' from my feeder, and a pop-up blind 45' from it. I'll hunt either one, depending on my mood, the weather or if I'm after that big Tom. Never had much luck with turkey's out of a stand.
   I do go high, if I'm hunting with the 300WM, or the 30-06. I don't think I've ever been as high in a tree as I was at Chris Cades farm last year with the Winmag, had noise bleed. Usually I stalk, cammoéd real good and move slow, stop and take a nap, and cover a lot of ground.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 09:54:06 am »
I hunt from the ground all the time!
Because I love It!
I don't move around much, I've got a great spot in an old apple orchard.
I build a stick blind and wait it out.
over the years this method has been very successful for me.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Postman

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 10:23:26 am »
I usually hunt next to a blowdown or other natural blind, and have cobbled together ad-hoc blinds on the spot with some success. Still waitin' for my first lobngbow deer, but have gotten a few at short range with wheelies and guns.  I think scent control is more important than in a tree.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA