Author Topic: First post, first bow  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: First post, first bow
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 06:25:41 am »
Welcome aboard and nice job on your first,Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 09:28:37 am »
Welcome. To add to what Pat said, I'd get the inner limbs doing a little more of the work on the next one. The tiller looks nice and even on this one but it is what we call sightly "Whip tillered" Which means its doing the majority of it work in the outer limbs near the tips. Its better in most cases to have the wider near the handle part of the limb doing the majority of the work and to leave the outer limbs sort of stiff. All and all you did a great job though on your first atempt. You should be very proud. I only wish my first ten bows could have been that nice.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 01:19:00 pm »
Welcome! I totally agree with what Pat and Ryan said as a friendly critique of your very good first bow! There is a lot of bow making knowledge here, and folks very willing to help! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline MaceG

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 10:12:47 pm »
    If you did that good with a board, you ought not have any trouble with a stave. Great job.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline stonebender

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 10:30:23 pm »
Thanks everybody.  Bow number 2 is in the works right now.  Does maple make a good backing on red oak?  There is some really nice and cheap maple base molding down at the Habitat Restore that I have been eyeing.  Pat, I understand what you mean about the handle.  I wasn't sure how far I could take it with the arrow rest cut in it.  But after I had the tiller even and the draw weight in the neighborhood, I didn't want to go any father.  Lesson learned.  Ryano, I see what you mean.  I guess my bulky handle made the whole center stiff.  Next one I'll reduce the handle a bit and see what I get.  The experiment continues....I guess my other hobbies will be getting the backburner   :P

Offline JustAim

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 10:53:15 pm »
I guess my other hobbies will be getting the backburner   

This hobby will consume you my friend! ;D   Maple is a good backing wood, but white oak and hickory is better. lf they dont have those two woods, the maple will do just fine.  :)

Offline J05H

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 02:39:04 am »
Ryano, I see what you mean.  I guess my bulky handle made the whole center stiff.  Next one I'll reduce the handle a bit and see what I get.   :P

I think what Ryano meant was that your inner limbs are a bit stiff. With this design, the handle itself is meant to be stiff. You shouldn't have to reduce your handle if it's comfortable the way it is. But, like Pat said, it's a little long. It looks like you put your upper fade above your arrow rest cutout. That is not necessary. You can cut your arrow rest out of your upper fade. You just have to make sure that there is enough wood left for it to stay stiff. On your next one, just get it bending a bit more just out from the fades, and you should be fine. Your next one will be better with what you've learned from this one. Good luck.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 10:07:34 pm »
OK, Stand up and face the group and say, "My name is Stonebender, and I am an addict".    No turning back now.  These wooden springs will consume you.  Great bow.   Keep making!!  piper

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 02:56:41 am »
...  Bow number 2 is in the works right now. ...
....I guess my other hobbies will be getting the backburner   :P

I remember when I made my 1st I was already thinking of how I will make my 2nd...
Don't get this wrong, these guys are not kidding: bowbuilding is addictive!
Welcome on PA!
Frank from Germany...

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 12:24:51 pm »
i cant build yet, but i shoot jist about every spare second i have, then go home and watch hunting shows and drool till hunting season gets here. then i go sit in a stand and freeze half to death, thinking of how i cant wait for summer to bowfish, then when  im bowfishin im thinkin bout when i should pick the other stick up and start practiceing for deer.......ah, the never ending cycle.  ;D
lets just shoot it