Author Topic: Finally Finished IPE bamboo  (Read 6355 times)

Offline bigcountry

Finally Finished IPE bamboo
« on: September 06, 2009, 03:55:17 pm »
Well, I started this in Feb.  Finally done after some slight tiller fixes. I about gave up on her when the nodes started feeling rough (sanded too far) so I wrapped with silk and went crazy and wrapped all of em.  And then I had some separation at the fades where the power lam ends, so I wrapped with elk sinew from Frank Bullit. Probably overkill, but I wanted this bow to stay together.  Thanks Frank.  Hopefully use it hunting.  I had put about 200 arrows thru her.  Put on 6 coats of Spar.  She came in at 66" and 56#@28".  I used cowhorn and elk bone overlays and walnut handle with some sapwood.  I thought the sapwood would look cool, but not sure.  She shoots faster than any bow I have built so far.  Named her "spit and glue".

Westminster, MD

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: Finally Finished IPE bamboo
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 04:04:06 pm »
Just  wondering,  are the  sinew  wraps  functional,  required  for  extra  strength  or is  it  cosmetic,  thanx:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:07:46 pm »
Just  wondering,  are the  sinew  wraps  functional,  required  for  extra  strength  or is  it  cosmetic,  thanx:)

Very functional IMO.  As they dry, they get tighter, and are very strong.  I worried, that I would have boo separate where the power lam ends, and just wanted some insurance. 

I myself would rather there be no wraps or sinew. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 04:37:42 pm »
She came out nice.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 05:49:50 pm »
Looks good.. I would say you did a great job.. ;)

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 08:45:20 pm »
Thanks Dave and Pat.  Both of you contributed to this.  Thanks for the advise you gave along the way. 
Westminster, MD

Offline macbow

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 08:57:28 pm »
From the pictures the IPE looks pretty thick. Could you give a few dimensions, maybe thickness at fades of IPE and near the tips?
Thanks, way to stick with it.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:21:58 pm »
From the pictures the IPE looks pretty thick. Could you give a few dimensions, maybe thickness at fades of IPE and near the tips?
Thanks, way to stick with it.
Ron

I started off with 5/8" IPE.  so I added a 1/8" power lam 1/2" past the fades.  Its 1.2" at the handle to fades. 6" handle with arrow cutout.  2" of fades on each side of the handle which is really stiff.  I then keep it 1.2" wide 4" past the fades, then pyamid down to 3/8" tips. 

This is some dimensions burnie on here gave me.  I trapped the limbs a lot. More than I should. I kept the belly dead flat. 

When I build another, I plan on 1" wide at handle (for more narrow) and straight taper to the tips at 3/8".  Also, the dead flat belly works good but I like a flowing bow with rounded bellyand nice rounded off features going up into the handle. 
Westminster, MD

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 01:05:56 pm »
I'd call this one a "humdinger" and a great candidate for Sept Lam BOM.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:46:26 pm »
Mark
Glad to see you got her done.  Great job.  It has been exciting following your progress. 

Love the bow. 

Offline snedeker

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 05:11:50 pm »
Great bow.,   One benefit of going that thick with ipe is you get bothered less with handle pop-off

Dave

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 05:40:03 pm »
Hey, she looks a bit quirky, but quirky is good.
Nice tiller, sometimes there is more satisfaction in overcoming the problems than tha a straight forward job.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 08:27:15 pm »
Hey, she looks a bit quirky, but quirky is good.
Nice tiller, sometimes there is more satisfaction in overcoming the problems than tha a straight forward job.
Del

I got two selfbows sitting in corner with problems.  I have a habit of going full tilt on a bow until it doesn't go my way.  I figured I would try to break that habit on this one.  I bet I spent more time straightening out the problems than actually shaping and tillering.  But I learned a bunch.

Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:27:52 pm »
Mark
Glad to see you got her done.  Great job.  It has been exciting following your progress. 

Love the bow. 

Could'n't have done it without your help.  I appreciate all the advise.
Westminster, MD

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 08:41:54 pm »
Looks like a hunter to me.Way to hang in there when you run into problems. Good Job!!.   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas