Author Topic: bucking a hide?  (Read 4189 times)

Offline deersled

bucking a hide?
« on: December 23, 2009, 07:26:55 pm »
how important is the stirring part of bucking? I'm gonna be gone for a couple days this weekend and I want to buck some deer skins while I'm gone. Is it ok to just let em sit in hydrated lime (thats what I'm using)?

Offline boo

Re: bucking a hide?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:02:25 pm »
Its good to stir them everyday but ive gone a few days without stirring with no ill effects. I usually move them around real good the first day anyway so the solution can reach the whole hide.
Boo

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:24:28 pm »
Colder temps make it more forgiving. If it was warm I would say you must stay and watch, stirring every day.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline macbow

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:41:54 pm »
I just finished one hide and have another in the lime now. Once you have it mixed and stirred  I think you'll be fine. You can leave it in the lime extra with no ill effects. So when you get back give it some more time and stirring.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 05:50:58 am »
justin nailed it with the temp. if it was warm it could be a problem but not at cooler temps
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline deersled

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 07:08:33 am »
alright, sounds good. let me ask you guys something else. I've only completed one hide. that one turned sort a white when I was done graining it (after bucking).. I started to scrape some hair off one the other day without bucking and it was pink? Is that the normal color of the skin?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 08:02:47 am »
I've had a deer with cafe o late stains. They even get freckles. If it aint green its good
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct