Author Topic: A question of steels  (Read 5646 times)

Offline KShip85

A question of steels
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:13:25 am »
I'm just getting into bladesmithing, which is something I have wanted to do for awhile. I've mostly been working on stock removeal projects from saw blades and lawnmower blades but am wanting to try some forging soon. I've been saving up scrap steel that I come across and have come across an old jackhammer chisel and two blades from an industrial size wood chipper. I'm wanting to try a sword blade and am wondering if either of these will work better than the other for doing so. I'd most likely use the shaft of the chisel because I have been using it as a wedge for spliting logs which it works wonderfully for. The chipper blades are probably about an inch or so thick and maybe 18 inches wide by 9 or 10 inches tall. On those I'd most likely use a cut off saw and take chunks off the blades to forge. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A question of steels
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:17:01 am »
I'm not a blacksmith or metallurgist but I believe it would depend on the make up of the steel.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KShip85

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:02:51 pm »
Yeah,  Pat, I think you are right.  I guess my question really is has anyone tried working with similar pieces of steel.  The chisel is super hard and has stood up to a beating from a sledge when I have used it as a wedge for splitting.  I would think simply from the nature of their work both chipper blades and jackhammer chisels ought to be some tough steel.  Is there a way I can find out exactly what alloy of steel these two types are?

Kip

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:14:02 pm »
The chipper blade probably has carbide in it and would be hard but will it be the best steel for blades. I don't know. Bobby Keller(Bo) is a bladesmith and can probably give you more educated info than I can.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 07:42:39 pm »
I'm not a blacksmith but my grandfather was and he made all sorts of stuff out of rebar i think the most important thing is hardind and tempering temper not right the edge will roll when sharpening to hard it will brake
bryan irwin

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:24:19 pm »
Unless you have a really descent Forge....I would toss that Jackhammer Bit....way to damned Hard to mess with...stick with Files or something more manageable for starters....Stay away from Debar....it's just Pot Metal...all kinds of Scrap is melted down to use for it....lots of Slag in it...not worth messing with............JMO
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:27:26 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline KShip85

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 10:51:39 pm »
Thanks for the input. I'll just put that hard stuff for awhile. I suppose I might try Damascus steel using cables. I'd still like to try something with those pieces I have in the future but I guess I will wait untill I gain some experience. Thanks.

Kip

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 03:44:00 pm »
according to one of the master bladesmiths at one of the knife magazines, automotive coil springs are just about the perfect steel for forging!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 04:55:15 pm »
according to one of the master bladesmiths at one of the knife magazines, automotive coil springs are just about the perfect steel for forging!

hey thats good to know,i have a buddy that manages a local auto spring store
they always have extra pieces of scrap from custom springs they make
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:09 am »

coil springs or leaf springs? i know that the mountian man Bin Lilley (really not sure how its spelled) used leaf springs for his bear stickers.
lets just shoot it

Offline fencepost

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 03:45:25 pm »
If you can find a chainsaw bar that is solid steel it works the best for a large blade

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 12:14:21 am »

I would think either one would be fine for your sword.  Just anneal the steel, in other words, just get it almost white hot, and let it cool.  Then you should be able to reheat it, and start pounding on it.  You will need a GOOD anvil, a big one!  And a helper would be a godsend.  If you have a big anvil, you can spot weld a piece of flat sheet metal about a half inch thick,to the top, area, and you will have a better shaping area, rather than a surface that is full of dents, and irregularities.  It is very labor intensive, with just the minimal tools.  A hammer forge would be nice, but then so would Norm's Shop on the Yankee Peddler.... ;)  But go for it, at the very least you will learn a lot!  Tempering is probably the biggest part of knife making.  The steel is important, some are designed for edge holding, some for strength, etc.  A good steel, to get is an old truck, or car leaf spring.  The older ones, have better steel in them.  You don't want your sword to be too hard, or too soft.  You want some springiness in it.  Other wise it will shatter when it hits a solid object.  You can do like some of the Swedish knives, and laminate a super hard thin blade in between to pieces of softer steel.  But like I said, go for it.  The worst that can happen, is you will enjoy it, and learn a whole lot .  Like dang, that thing is still hot!  :o  And well, I now know not to do that again! ;)  Look for books on blacksmithing, and get a good one, and look for farm auctions, and anvils, and black smithing tools.  Oh, and some ear plugs, a good leather welder's apron, gloves,and safety glasses! ;)  And good luck.  Nope not a blacksmith either.  Had some friends who were though, and I am definitely going to get a big anvil, and make a forge, and start making knives, swords, and tomahawks, and axes, etc. when I move to Montana, which will be in a few months.

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 12:29:56 pm »

You can do like some of the Swedish knives, and laminate a super hard thin blade in between to pieces of softer steel. 
                                                                      Wayne

my hunting knife is made like this. it was foraged in jappan, picked it up at the blade show in atlanta. its japanese white steel tween some softer stuff. looks REALLY nice and is sharp enough to shave a frog.  ;D
lets just shoot it

cgb

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 11:33:50 am »
If you are just starting out either leaf or coil spring are great steel for knife making or sword making Damascus and laminate steels are a much more advanced technique that take some extra skill such as knowing what steel you are working with and at what temperatures it will weld as well as which flux works best for the welding. read up on hardening and tempering there are many great sites with the information needed for all of these skills i grew up in a knife making and blacksmithing family good luck in your new endeavor of blacksmithing you will enjoy it.