Author Topic: new member (bamboo question)  (Read 5033 times)

Offline bryan irwin

new member (bamboo question)
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:10:37 am »
new member just to say hello want to build a bamboo and hickory longbow i have some bamboo i cut want to know how long it needs to dry and also want to know about what glue to use and been knapping some hunting points to use this year cant wait to try them out
bryan irwin

Offline Cromm

Re: new member (bamboo question)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 07:03:50 am »
Hi Bryan, Welcome to PA. You may want to post this topic in the Bow link also to get the help you may need.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:04:14 am »
Welcome. Good luck on the bow and the points. I am not sure on the glue, I do not build composite bows, but I have seen guys using URAC
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 10:58:57 am »
Welcome to PA. If you split the bamboo is wont take long to dry at all.  As for glue, there are so many options available. You can use an epoxy like URAC or Smooth On. I usually use Smooth On. You can also use a PVA glue, (white glue.) Lots of guys, including myself have used TiteBond 2 or 3 with great results.  Lets see some pictures of those points. Justin

Im moving this to bows since it is a question about making them.  You will get a lot more response there.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: new member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 11:01:52 am »
Welcome to PA, Irwin. There are quite a few glues that you can use. The easiest is Tite-Bond (carpenters glue), then Urac 185(excellent wood/wood glue(boo fits in one of those woods) and Smooth-on(needs heat to cure) to name a few. All work fine.
  Depending on where you live and what type of climate you have anywhere from a month to two or so month if the bamboo is split in half lengthwise. What diameter is your boo?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 11:10:10 am »
Even though Pat and I said almost the exact same thing, I gotta disagree a little. I actually find Titebond more difficult to work with.  Because Titebond shrinks as it dries it gives you a really thin glue line. This means that you have to have a perfect match between your laminations. The epoxies have some gap filling properties allowing a little room for error by the bowyer. I am certainly not saying one is better, but sometimes it is hard to get the laminations perfect.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 11:15:36 am »
Justin does more glue up than I do so take what he says as gospel. I have used Urac and it is excellent. For me and the few backed bows I do the TB glues work good enough. I've never used Smooth on but those who do, swear by it.  To each his own! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bryan irwin

Re: Arrow Points
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 12:30:02 pm »
thanks for the help the boo is 4inches across ill will post pics of points just started knapping a few months ago after the north ga.knapp in thanks again

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 01:15:21 pm by bryan irwin »
bryan irwin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 02:19:45 pm »
Nice knapping Irwin. 8)  Definitely hunting points.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 06:18:52 pm »
Really nice points.

Pat, if I know anything about what causes foul ups, it is because I have done it. I can mess up with the best of them.  ::)  I do like Titebond, I just find it a little more finicky.

SW Utah

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 09:41:58 pm »
Real nice points for a new knapper. ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 09:51:26 am »
You'll get lots of good advice here, but if you want to build some bamboo backed bows, do yourself a favor and get a copy of "Hunting The Bamboo Backed Bow" from Dean Torges, and watch it over and over. You'll get all the info you need there for sure. He covers drying the bamboo.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 10:07:13 am »
Welcome b.irwin Can't help much on the glue up,jsut wanted to welcome you a board.Good luck and nice looking points.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good