Author Topic: Elk 1 - Primitive archer 0  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Little John

Elk 1 - Primitive archer 0
« on: August 30, 2009, 10:48:21 pm »
First round is in the history books. My wife Kathie and I hiked in to my camp Friday evening, camped and started the season on Saturday morning. Kathie does not hunt but is a great companion and normally brings me luck. We enjoyed the evening with coffe laced with a bit of canadian whisky ate and had a nice night in the wood heated wall tent. Oh the tent now has front and rear doors thanks to a nosey bear that visited some time in the last two weeks. I left the door open so the bears could come in and look around but I guess they like to make ther own. Have any one ever noticed that bears are very scent sensitive when you hunt them but could care less when wrecking a camp. I was very optimistic Saturday while sitting my stand, good sign every where and very good wind conditions. I read half of a book but saw no big game. Got up there Sunday morning and just before getting to the stand a large bull was already in my shooting lane, did not even think of trying to call (stupid) but tried a stalk and got busted at about 40-50 yards by a cow that I had not seen. Pretty exciting, a calf elk came by a bit later. Had to hike out at about mid day, left no food in camp just a bunch of used socks and underwear for the bears. No kill pics but a couple from camp. Round two will be the four day labor day holiday.  Anxious and hopeful.

[attachment deleted by admin]
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Elk 1 - Primitive archer 0
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:34:27 am »
Wish I was there!!! Sounds like the year is starting off good. Kathie has a more positive effect than I did so keep bringing her along! ;)
  Kenneth, what are you putting on the back side of your tents? ???  bear attractant? :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:13:35 am »
Had to be fun.Elk or no Elk.Good luck on round 2. ;) :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 07:16:42 am »
Thanks Pat, I might have to drive to N.C. next year and drag you out here personally, wish you were here. And thanks Pappy I need all the luck I can get.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:44:01 am »
Kenneth, sounds like you had some good action Sunday...enough to get the ole adrenalin up! Best of luck to you on your next hunt. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:22:57 am »
  sounds like a great weekend, Kenneth. I sure miss those mountains, good luck.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:25:24 am »
Looks like fun.  I gotta go after them elk again sometime.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:51:25 am »
Dang LittleJohn, it's 2 more weeks before I get to go. You got me pumped up now. Have you done any calling yet? Just wondering if they are responding to anything.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:48:55 pm »
Looks like a heck of a good time.Oh yeah!! Maybe you should'nt have been readin' that book ;D   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:04:31 pm »
Greg, yes definatly enough action to get the heart pumping. Can't wait to get back up, The guys at work this morning were complaining about the hunters being thick, I was happy to report that I never even saw another boot print. I guess the extra work is worth it.     

Eddie, I know hopw you feel I can't imagin not having the wild country. You should make it back out someday soon.

Ryan, you too. Hope you can make it soon, good luck hunting at home till you do.

Okie, glad I only have to wait a few days to get back up. I never heard any bugling this weekend but am sure they are starting. Where are you getting to go? Good luck. 

Pete, yes you are right about the book. Hopefully I did not read thru too many. Actually with the book I can stay all day without getting too bored and go out stomping around and spook the game out of my area. Will just make sure to be there at the crack of dawn next time. Good luck with the pigs and what else you get to hunt this fall.        Kenneth

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:51 pm »
LJ, we'll be in unit 30 around Roan Creek. Keep in touch and let me know what's happening. I think I planned good this year... should hit it real close to the rut.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 08:20:33 am »
  Thanks for the update Little John, our weekend was much the same, had a hunter bust the herd and send them all running.  Good luck this weekend.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 11:48:32 pm »
Great pics brother.. aim small miss small.. keep to the shadows in the timber and cow call softly.. LOL
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston