Author Topic: Bow Scale?  (Read 3550 times)

sourdough

Bow Scale?
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:33:47 am »
I was just wondering where i can get a good inexpensive bow scale.  if you know where i can get one please let me know where.  Rember, INEXPENSIVE, im in a bind for money right now.

thanks
sourdough

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Bow Scale?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 01:47:39 am »
Hi,  I'm not sure what your $ is.   You may already have a bathroom scale in the house.  You can use that ( with care).   Just use a tillering stick,  Place one end of the stick on the center of the scale.  Place the nocking point of the bow string in a notch at the other end of the stick.   Mark your draw length on the stick and carefully pull the bow down to the mark.  Read your scale and then relax.  Someone posted a link to an ebay seller that had electronic scales appropriate for attachment to a tillering tree.  I didn't save the link, but it should be archived here (PA) site, so you might search the old links for "scale", etc.  The spring loaded scale from 3 Rivers is nice and simple to use, but I suspect you've already priced that.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 01:53:53 am »
I went on ebay and found a ten dollar luggage scale....wouldn't be good for ELB's because it only goes up to 75lbs and Im sure its not the most accurate scale in the world but its close enough for me....I would check that out.

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 06:43:49 am »
I got a 110 lb spring ballance off the internet for about 10 Uk pounds, not the most sophisticated but fit for purpose.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:52:41 am »
I have a pelouze scale, and its ok.  I wish I had a digital.  That way I could concentrate on hitting the exact point and then read the max value later.
Westminster, MD

Offline woodstick

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 12:47:51 pm »
i got mine from 3 rivers dont remeber how much but it works ok dont know how perfect it is.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline JustAim

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 01:01:52 pm »
Ebay sells cheap scales but, a bathroom scale works good and l'm sure you already have one of those. Cabelas and 3riversarchery sell  Pelouze scales that range from $50 on up. l went to my local Tractor Supply store and bought a Pelouze for $30. lts the same scale that 3rivers sells but for alot less money. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:25:26 pm by JustAim »

Offline smokeu

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 02:52:39 pm »
I used to use a bathroom scale, then graduated to a 5$ fish scale from a garage sale.
Longview, TEXAS

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 07:52:58 pm »
Wally World, fish scale 0-50#, nice big dial..$4.97  piper