Author Topic: TomB Memorial Bow  (Read 88745 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: TomB Memorial Bow
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2009, 09:50:39 pm »
 57"isn't too short for Mulberry if the stave is heavy and dense.  I've made a sinew backed one 44"that pulled 28". I've had my doubt's about that stave, sound's like it is not dense enough. Good Mulberry is a shade in yellow under Osage and as heavy as Osage. I've made the limbs the same width as Osage bows. After a time it will turn just as dark. We have a white mulberry down here that is like Balsa wood when it dries.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2009, 05:38:00 am »
This looks like light colored Osage,but not very dense,really pretty light wood ,at least that is how it feels to me.I think for 28 draw I should back it. I didn't get to the shop yesterday but will try and check today on the rawhide.I don't think I have enough but I will let yall know.I Think I will back it first,before I start tillering.It is clean wood but seems light. :) It should make 50lbs but from the way it feels I think it's going to be pretty thick. It is only 1 3/8s wide the best I could measure.I will keep
yall updated. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2009, 07:30:10 am »
Eddie its 67" tip to tip, Pappy if you don't mind messing with it go for it but perhaps we should change gears and go with an osage ???
If so I believe I have one already chased and profiled, will have to look though.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2009, 08:02:56 am »
Either way,I will go for it and see what happens,It may make a great bow,only way to tell is give it a try. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2009, 07:36:24 pm »
Man, i like that vise bench a lot.....or is that a vise horse.......or a bow vice combination portable work station?  Anyway, it looks good.   I'd probably put a ruff shelf on the bottom, way low down and keep a couple fifty pound sandbags on it. piper

Offline Parnell

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2009, 09:19:17 pm »
I've been watching this thread from the start.  I lost my Dad from cancer coming up on 6 years, September 18.  I was 28 at the time.  Can't imagine how much harder it would have been at 18.  I was just reminiscing on the difficulties that we faced going through that time, it always gets me this time of year.  I think what all you guys are doing, this whole project, is top notch.  I know that if it were me in this position I would profoundly appreciate this type of community consideration.  I haven't met any of you all yet, but I'm looking forward to a time where I will.  I truly admire this gesture.
1’—>1’

Offline DanaM

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2009, 06:31:44 am »
Thanks Parnell, looking forward to meeting also :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2009, 03:21:28 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts Parnell and I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad when I was 19 (1969). I didn't even know he was sick but he went into the hospital on Friday and passed on Monday. It all happened so quick and at that age everything is a blur anyway.
  We are truly a family here on PA and situations like this is when we shine!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2009, 08:20:24 pm »
Amen Pat I also lost my dad to cancer at 19(1979) and had to watch him suffer through it, was at his bedside as he took his last breath :'(
Lost my mom to cancer in 2002 and also had to watch her go through it I was at her bedside as she took her last breath :'(
Dang I can't go on its still a raw nerve and I start to cry just thinkin about it :'( :'( :'( Missing them both :'(

Manistique, MI

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2009, 10:05:31 pm »
Thanks Parnell, I'm sorry for all of your losses. Well I have the stone point arrows all finished. Here they are, sourwod shoots stained with some red clay, burnished and then rubbed with some fat. The points are hafted with pine pitch and sinew. The fletching is two feather with wild turkey tail feathers and they all weigh from 620 to 640 grains. The top two points are from Shannon, the third down from Dana and the bottom one from Wade.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2009, 10:09:58 pm »
Dang those are sweet!!!!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2009, 10:11:55 pm »
Very Nice Job Alan....they look great
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2009, 10:47:14 pm »
Thanks guys!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2009, 11:57:24 pm »
Allen, those are flat out AWESOME!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2009, 12:33:50 am »
Very nice Alan.  Thanks
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC