Author Topic: TomB Memorial Bow  (Read 88701 times)

Offline DanaM

TomB Memorial Bow
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:43:25 am »
I met Tom at Pappy's this spring and had some nice converstaions with him, we struck up an immediate friendship. Tom struck me as a gentle caring man a true southern gentleman. Words fail me in trying to describe him but after knowing him for just a few days he left an impression on me and I wish I could have known him for longer.
Go figure but Tom took a liking to me and gifted me with some staves, while sorting through my wood pile I came upon this white mulberry stave that he gave me. It brought back memories of my chats with Tom.
Having lost my father to cancer when I was 19 and Toms son Patrick losing his father at 18 I feel a kinship with them and understand the sense of loss that Patrick
must be feeling. So I concieved an idea to turn this stave Tom gave me into a bow to be gifted to Patrick as a Memorial to his father. To make it even more special I want to invite all of you that were Tom's friends to participate in this. Would like to do this in a Community bow fashion with as many of Toms friends as possible taking
part and leaving a little of their spirit in the bow. Ideally I think a full set of bow, arrows, quiver and knife would be fantastic. So what say you anyone care to join me?

Here's the stave White Mulberry 67" long and roughly 2.5" wide, it has a naturally reflexed end on it.
I chased a ring on it and need to sand the back a bit more. What do you all think can we make a good bow
from this stave. I'm thinking rigid handle with rawhide backing for durability and snakeskin over the rawhide.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: TomB Memorial Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:28:05 am »
Great idea Dana.   I'm sure he'll treasure it.   

Hey , how does your dog stick to the wall that way?   Dang good grip on those foot pads.   May be a cross between a Lab and a Dahl Sheep? 

piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:50 am »
As a long time friend of Tom and Patrick I think this is an excellent idea and I'm ready to put a bit of my own blood, sweat and tears into this Community project.   Dana, this is a great gesture and I'm sure  knowing how much we all care about Tom and his memory and having this Community archery set will have a positive effect to help Patrick deal with the death of his Dad.
  Put me in on the list of participants.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 09:48:47 am »
Thanks Kieth and Pat :)

This stave does have a few issues, if it won't work I also have a set of WM billets Tom gave me or I have some nice osage staves.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 10:05:27 am »
I'll try to help out, Dana.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:16:04 am »
Thanks Steve, I know your busy and hunting season is coming up but a little of our time is a small thing to give eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 11:38:43 am »
Pat I hope you got the last PM I sent ya puter acted funny so not sure if it went or not.
And I agree 50# at 28" and I like your other idear also, I delegate that aspect to you  ;D

I've laid the bow out with a 4" handle, 1.5" fades, 1.5" for 18" then straight taper to 1/2" nocks
Does this sound ok for W. Mulberry?

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 12:15:00 pm »
Dana, I didn't get another reply after my last one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 08:22:10 pm »
 You can count me in also. I've got some special handle wrap material. And I have 4 osage staves from Tom if those don't work out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »
Did not know him real well, but what I did know about him was he was a very fine individual. I will help out if I can.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:09 am »
Sounds like were off to a good start :) I'm going to try and get the stave roughed out tonite, I need to lay it out a bit different as it has
a 3" split in it, but I should have enough room to avoid it.

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:02:20 am »
Just let me know what you need me to do.Love to help. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:16:58 am »
Unfortunately I never got to meet Tom.. But I would be more than honered to help out.. just let me know if you need me..

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 12:38:05 pm »
Thanks for the offer David its much appreciated, this bow will need some arrows ;) :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 02:53:44 pm »
Dana, I have some jap arrow bamboo shafts that Tom gave me this year at Hickory if I can find them in my pile of stuff. I'll be glad to give them to this project.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!