Author Topic: young beginner worried about starting tillering  (Read 9142 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: young beginner worried about starting tillering
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 11:39:06 am »
YB, you can either change the resolution setting in your camera to the lowest setting(usually will result in pics 640x480, fine for PA) or use Photobucket(free) and set all pics on there for 640x480.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 12:02:57 pm »
thx i think this is it. i need help with my tiller i dont want to mess this up

[attachment deleted by admin]
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 12:10:48 pm »
So far so good. Just keep removing wood evenly along each limb, exercise the wood between wood removals and checking the tiller. Don't get your fades too thin. Lots of leverage there and if they bend to close to the handle it may pop off.  That said, work so your bend in each limb is relatively even and that both tips are moving about the same distance.
  Eric's "gizmo" is basically a short piece of wood(about 4" or so) with a hole in the center for a pencil. With the pencil point barely through the gizmo you slide the gizmo along the bent limb. The pencil point will mark places that are not bending and will leave the bending parts unmarked. Very simple but also very effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JustAim

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 12:30:22 pm »
Heres the link to Eric's ''gizmo''.   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000075

Your bow looks good so far. Just remember, only remove wood where the limbs are not bending and dont touch areas that are bending to much....also called a ''Hinge''.   One more thing, l see your using a tillering stick and screws to hold your string in place. Be careful when using it because if your bow cuts loose on ya you'll get a nasty bump on your head. l used to use a tillering stick until one day l had a bow explode on me when l was moving the string to a lower peg and ended up smashing my face into a peg....needless to say it didnt feel very good ;D  Just be careful and go slow.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 12:57:04 pm »
thanks for the advice guys.i still have a lot of wood to remove because i want a 25# bow, and right now at 12" it is about 15lbs, and it only starts to bend at 9 or 10 inches,but i will stick with my pair of scissors to remove wood  like a scraper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 01:10:12 pm »
On your first bow you should concentrate on tiller and don't worry about the draw weight...although 25# should be easy to achieve.. Once you get the tiller worked out(might take a few bows) you can concentrate on building the bow you want.
 Building wood bows is a very slow process. If you try to rush it you WILL screw up. I know from experience(25 years worth). Concentrate on removing wood to get the limbs to bend evenly and together. If you find yourself wanting to rush or getting frustrated put it down and walk away. You need to be in a good frame of mind and with a positive attitude. Anything else will lead to failure and frustration.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 01:30:55 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 06:59:48 pm »
thanks for the site and the tillering is coming along VERY SLOWLY, but i hear that it is good to take my time