Author Topic: bending  (Read 3550 times)

jb

bending
« on: August 28, 2009, 11:14:05 am »
hello folks..jb here again..I put some of my broken bows to use..boiled a big pot of water and stuck the bow ends in said water..made a jig to put recurves on broken bow limbs..seemed to work pretty good..is boiling water as good as using steam or are there some negative effects..this sight is awesome..was not sure how to enter quote so here one ....you can't always be young but you can always be immature

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bending
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:27:07 am »
Boiling, steaming and dry heat all work well for bending wood. Different woods work better with different methods. I prefer to use dry heat on dry wood and wet heat for unseasoned wood. If you do use wet heat(steam or boiling) on dry wood you should seal the wood first(IMO) with shellac to prevent moisture from entering the already dry wood. By not doing so the wood is more susceptible to checking(drying cracks).
  This is smart of you using broken bows for your experimentation with bending wood.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jb

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:46:33 am »
thanx for info Pat..sounds like you have been building bows for a while..appreciate your help jb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:59:42 am »
25 years or so! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:11:37 pm »
Pat 25 x how many? >:D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:55:53 pm »
Ronnie, my age is well over twice that number!...but who's counting.  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 12:57:00 pm »
heck, my beard is way more than that old! ;)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 01:36:49 pm »
heck, my beard is way more than that old!

Pat, I'd bet you were wearing a beard in your baby pictures!  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 01:57:53 pm »
after seeing my baby pics I decided to grow the beard! :o  Scared the heck out of myself! ;D

jb

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 02:59:16 pm »
hey Pat I wood love to see some pictures of your bows..I will try to put some of mine on this sight once my kids teach me how...I brought one of my bows into work to show a dear hunting buddy of mine..two ladies asked me to build them bows to give to their friends for christmas...probably do it put I really dont have a clue as to what they are worth..talk to you

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 06:04:52 pm »
Pat whatever you loose for age you make up for in that wonderful grandfatherly persona.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 06:27:18 pm »
after seeing my baby pics I decided to grow the beard! :o  Scared the heck out of myself! ;D

My parents recently went to my father's highschool reunion. When my mother saw a picture of my fahter without a beard, she had a similiar reaction ;D