Author Topic: Hic backed cherry compression fracture  (Read 2455 times)

Grunt

Hic backed cherry compression fracture
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:36:35 pm »
After about 75 arrows I noticed the string feeling softer. I held the bow up and there was a hinge started in the top limb about ten inches in. Upon looking close I saw the dreaded chrysalis. I'm thinking that I left the hickory backing strip too thick and it overpowered the cherry belly. I've got another one glued up so should I scrape the hickory to 1/8? 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jesse

Re: Hic backed cherry compression fracture
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:23 pm »
From what I've seen cherry likes to do that. 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:15:56 am »
I've not had much luck with cherry either. It may be best as a core lam or power lam instead of a belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 01:54:30 am »
i have made a couple that were durable with a hickory backing.  Yes on the 1/8 thickness.  really it can be even less than that.  cherry is like locust in the way it will chrysal real quick if there is a hinge.  make sure the whole limb is working, go slow while tillering.  also it needs to be at least 1.75" wide and 66" ntn for up 55# of draw weight.  that seemed to work best for mine. 

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:52:43 am »
Thin your hickory backing to 1/8" and trap the edges. I'd go narrower like 1.5" wide at the most. Its better to keep your core wood a little thicker on a backed bow if possible.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:34 am »
As Ryan mentioned, trap the sides on your next on.

Have you thought about repairing the area with a patch Grunt? I just finished a boo back maple bow that done the same thing. The bow started out as a working handle design but I decided to add a handle which overstressed it's original design.  I've salvaged a number of bows that would otherwise be scrapped by using a patch.

ART B

[attachment deleted by admin]

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:23:04 pm »
Haven't thought about patching before. I'm going to give it a try as I have nothing to lose. Thanks for the input.