Author Topic: mould  (Read 1933 times)

jb

mould
« on: August 29, 2009, 04:43:41 pm »
just want to hear from the pros on this idea...in the bowyers bible they have some diagrams showing the shape of the most efficient bow shape..so what about making a mould of this shape..them making a metal box 6 ft long and big enough to hold a rough bow..fill it with water ..boil bow and clamp it to mould to achieve optimum bow shape..

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: mould
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:52:46 pm »
Too much work to boil, much less building a metal box to boil it it.  ;) You can build a form and steam the wood clamp it or heat it with dry heat and clamp it. The use of dry heat versus steam depends on the type of wood and if it is seasoned or green. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jb

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:06:32 pm »
I already have a box i found in the dump that will work..just need to build a fire under it..i dont think it is much work if it works.. i am new to bow building so i am using wet wood.. I shape the bows and dry them in the sauna for a few weeks before tillering..seems like I got 4 or 5 bows on the go..totally loving the whole thing..dream about them too..maybe i need help? thanx a lot for all your help

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 09:44:26 pm »
Good luck, let us know how it works.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah