Author Topic: made a hot box  (Read 5069 times)

Grunt

made a hot box
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:29:23 pm »
Just completed a hot box made with all recycled material. Last winter I had a hard time getting it above 65 degrees in my studio so glue ups were a problem. This box should fix that. four 100 watt bulbs for heat inside measurements are 76" long 20" deep 20" wide with foil backed insulation board. The form is a reflex/deflex out of the TBB.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: made a hot box
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:03:28 pm »
Very  nice  job,  is  there  any  fire danger  with  your  design  I  wonder?
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:06:39 am »
Nice hot box. Very similar to mine. I got my design from Bingham Projects. I have a thermostat installed that will limit my temp to 186deg. Plenty enough for glue-ups.  Got it from Bingham's and for only a few bucks.  One other thing I did with my box was to add 2, 1" holes; one at the top of one end and one at the bottom of the other end. For cooking glue-ups I plug the holes but for drying wood I open the holes to allow air circulation and aid the drying process.
 You can get the temp down to below 100degs by using one 60w bulb and this works well for drying wood or maintaining constant m/c in wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 12:08:22 am »
why would there be a fire danger?
because of the plywood case?
nope,if there was a fire danger the staves would catch first as the foil backed insulation keeps the heat in quite well
i have one very similar,no wood case(yet)but same foil backed insulation,with three 150w bulbs,i have mine hooked up to a rheostat so i can
adjust the out put and temp inside the box

yup i gotta up grade mine to have the sweet wood case
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:14:13 am »
Pat, I'll be boring 1" holes this morning. I'm going to do a dry run today. I've got a meat thermometer inserted through the side and I am shooting for 150', I'll post the results. Might have to go with a thermostat. Thanks for the tips.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:01:07 am »
Another little trick is to add a small fan inside for those drying times. Helps speed up the drying time. The one I use is an electronic equipment cooling fan about 4" square in size.
   You will be surprised how hot it will get with 4, 100w bulbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:07:41 am »
I also put a rheostat switch so I can adjust the temperature by dimming the bulbs. I only have 3 bulbs and can take it as low as I want.I haven't done any glue up,just mainly use for drying wood and don't want it that hot about 90 will do that. I have had it up to about 140. Very nice job on that one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:32 am »
My box is very similar to this. I have a rheostat in mine with a meat thermometer about a third way up from the bottom at one end. 3-150 watt bulbs will give me about 200deg. at full power. For drying slats, I turn out 2 of 'em and run one at about half power for 90-100deg.

I don't think I have a fire hazard as I sealed the joints with foil duct tape (much stronger than reg. duct tape and won't melt - don't ask! ::)) The wood case stays absolutely cool to the touch , just slightly warm directly over the light sockets where I couldn't put any insulation.  They can bury me in this thing! :o Nearly half a bottle of wood glue and a couple pounds of sheetrock screws!!!

BTW, really nice form! I gotta check my books for that one!

Grunt

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:20:14 pm »
Well I got 135 degrees with the 100 watt bulbs. I'll add one 150 watt bulb and see if I can bump it up 20 for glue curing. Great support guys, thanks.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 05:07:42 am »
I can just imagine Dracula sitting up in that on a dark winter's night >:D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 09:16:23 am »
Nice fancy heat box.  Mine is leftover wood I pulled out of a dumpter.  I wanted mine for a drying box mainly.

I wonder if you put a blanket or sleeping bag over it like Torges does if you could get 180F?

Westminster, MD

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:04:19 pm »
That's a good looking hotbox. I'm surprised that you're no getting hotter temps with those four hundred-watters.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 04:01:06 pm »
What type of wire/size are you guys using to wire up the lamp-holders ?
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Grunt

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:04:16 pm »
Got 160' with two 150 watt and two 100 watt. I put in a 800 watt dimmer switch so I can bump it down to dry wood. Weatherstriped the lid and went over all inside seams with foilbacked tape and bored a high and a low 11/4" hole for air flow when drying wood. Wire size 16/2 because all wiring is outside the box and the porcelain fixtures are mounted on metal surface mount boxes screwed to the inside lid.

Offline Dano

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 09:45:29 pm »
Great job Grunt, that oughta keep your boots dry as well. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada