Author Topic: bamboo bow?  (Read 2003 times)

natty

bamboo bow?
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:59:24 pm »
i was woundering if it is possible to make a all bamboo bow with sinew backing. i found some bamboo about 2'' in diameter cut it and it is now curing in the attic.how long should it sit before i start working it ???  i should just by me a stave but i like challenges and trying to find somthing to make a bow out of in a coastal florida swampy enviroment is one i think. thanks for the help ya'll

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bamboo bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:10:21 pm »
Coastal Fla swampy environment isn't the best environment for a sinew backed bow of any sort. It will work but you won't get the full potential from the sinew because of the humidity. You could make a cable backed bow with the boo and a natural fiber cable. I believe there is one pictured in one of the TBB series. If I can find it I will post where.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:51:41 pm »
Where ya at, Natty?
Bamboo backed Ipe is a frontrunner for our environment.  You'll need wider diameter bamboo.  I've found some growing in SW Florida 4-6 inch diameter.  This stuff'l do.  Ipe boards can be purchased at hardwood dealers.  Ipe, I feel, performs better in the humidity.  it seems Floridians need bows for the wet season, and the dry season.  You can always purchase bamboo backing and Ipe blanks.  There are lots of choices for Florida.
 :)
Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:25:16 pm »
parnell
its not jus fla thats needs bows for wet and dry seasons
here in mn we need the same,but we call them winter/summer bows
winter its dryer than a popcorn fart,summers we can have humidity like ya'all get or we can get as dry as desert in the summer too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

natty

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:51:09 am »
i'm right on the border in S.georgia and florida but maybe going north soon. my Q.is can an all bamboo bow work w/out another wood? i do have some pecan that i can rip to make some laminations.