Author Topic: bows  (Read 2174 times)

jb

bows
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:20:15 pm »
hey..this is my first post..started building bows about a year ago..made about ten or so ..first 6 or 8 were used for lighting the sauna..just the last few are functioning..making them out of maple that I cut in North west Ontario..on that topic I was wondering if anyone knows what the native population in this area used..also wondering where to get suitable string with out it costing an arm or so..I have about 400 other questions but I will see how this form of communication works..computers are kinda new for me as well..thanx JB

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: bows
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:36:15 pm »
Usually a good rule of thumb is whatever hardwood is growing abundantly in your area is what the native people used.  If it produces a fruit or a nut it will usually make a good bow.

Three Rivers Archery sells string materials as well as well as already made strings.  You can buy two spools of B-50 Dacron and make like 30 strings from it for the price of like 2 already made strings.  There are great flemish string buildalongs on here just ask around and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction for making your own strings. 

Someone else will chime in with more info soon I hope, but till then welcome to PA!!!   Everyone here is great and eager to help any way they can.  I love this place.    -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

jb

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:10:11 am »
thanx for the info and the welcome Josh..loking forward to learning more..love shooting and building bows

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:16:18 am »
NW Ontario eh, I'm guessing that your wood choices are about the same as mine here in the UP of MIchigan, maples, white ash, elm, serviceberry,
apple, red oak, also look for imported species lots of folks plant exotics and many of them make a good bow. As Josh said 3 Rivers selld B-50 dacron
2 spolls will cost ya about $20 not sure on the shipping to Canada though.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:56:44 am »
i live in ontario and i think they would have used ash primarily, and others like elm and oak and other fruit and nut trees.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"