Author Topic: sapling bow  (Read 4924 times)

jb

sapling bow
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:40:29 pm »
hi..I made some flat bows out of maple..thinking of trying to make a bow from a sapling like choke cherry...what is the general process.I was guessing the back would remain round and the belly would be tillered..Is there a problem with the excessive crown on such a bow..any related knowledge would be appreciated thanx JB

Offline Dauntless

Re: sapling bow
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:53:06 pm »
I think it is advisable to make the bow a couple inches longer if the crown is excessive.  Making a bend in the handle bow is just as effective. 

I've made a couple of chokecherry sapling bows and none have broken... even the one I tillered back and belly. 
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:13:20 pm »
jb, check out Gordon's build along with a hazelnut sapling bow. Lots of good info there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jb

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:17:19 pm »
hey thanx..where would I find gordon,s build along

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:06:45 pm »
I decrowned an osage pole (gift from Pat)  and backed with sinue, 64"  holmie design. I like it a lot except that it came in under weight for an elk bow. The 1/2 pole reflexed naturally and held 2". Had to glue on a piece for stiff handle, wraped with gut and TBIII. The Belly is flat and the back has a trapizoidal cross section.    Kenneth

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:11:15 pm by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:10:50 am »
jb, you can find it in the How To and Build Along section of this site.
  Kenneth, that bow came out nice. My half of that pole got a crack across the back. I will remove that layer of sapwood and maybe even sinew the back. Pole(sapling) bows work well but are a challenge to make.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jb

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:04:42 am »
nice looking bow Little John..thankx for photos and response..jb