Author Topic: Cresting Type of paint  (Read 6914 times)

Offline zeNBowyer

Cresting Type of paint
« on: September 01, 2009, 03:54:52 am »
I am  getting  into cresting  after  having  built a simple  cresting  machine, and  after  looking  at  the $$$ I  see commercial vendors asking for  so  called  cresting  paints ($8 per  ounce  wow) I am  wondering what  some  of  you  use, is  there some  special  paint  you  use  for  your arrows, or does  it  really  matter all  that  much  whether its  enamel,  acrylic  or  water  based  paints,  thanx:)
zeN

[attachment deleted by admin]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cresting Type of paint
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:45:11 am »
Wally World carries acrylic craft paints in many different colors. They should work fine for cresting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 01:40:16 pm »
That's what I use The wife's craft paint. It's good arcrylic paint and the price is right.
Also you can get any colour your looking for.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:34:35 pm »
I use acryllic. I suggest if you are using it on raw wood, firsr wet the wood to raise the grain and sand before applying the paint.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:06:33 pm »
I usually gave my cedar shafts a dip in water based poly first then added the crown and cresting then another dip or 2 of poly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:33:21 pm »
Another vote for acrylic craft paint. Works good, looks good, spreads smooth, can be thinned with water, cleans up easily with water, and comes in a variety of colors, including some that look very similar to natural pigments. It has also been compatible with all the different finishes that I've tried.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.