Author Topic: how to start making primitive arrows????  (Read 3344 times)

huckfinn

how to start making primitive arrows????
« on: August 24, 2009, 12:55:15 pm »
I would like to start making primitive arrows but I don't know were to start if any one could help I would be thankful? Thanks jimmy

Offline sailordad

Re: how to start making primitive arrows????
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 02:05:41 pm »
first thing is to find shaft material,then collecting and drying the shafts,straighten them,cut to desired length
then add fletching and a point

good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:08:17 pm »
There's a chapter in Traditional Bowyer's Bible volume 1, as well as a number of articles on Arrow making in Primitive Archer back issues. Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans by Jim Hamm also covers arrow making pretty well.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:25:09 pm »
If you are going to gather your own arrow shafts, what you use will have a lot to do with where you live.
Different things grow in different places.  Most places grow some type of arrow shafts.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

huckfinn

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:22:43 pm »
I would like to start making primitive arrows but I don't know were to start if any one could help I would be thankful? Thanks jimmy
I live in Missouri so what wood do i use and how do i get it get it down to one thickness the length of the shaft?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:00:40 pm »
The best advice I can give you is what Kegan said: to read Jay Massey's chapter on arrow making in The Traditional bowyer's Bible vol. 1, and Jim Hamm's Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans. There's a lot of good info in both of those that's written and photographed in good, understandable form. I use a small block plane and a piece of wood with different size holes drilled in it to size arrow shafts.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:01:26 pm »
Check out the Stone Age Arrow buildalong by Patrick Blank (Jackcrafty).  It is in the "How to and Buildalong" section.  It is one of the most informative pieces about arrow building that I have seen.
Traverse City, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:35:56 am »
there aint nuthin to makeing arrows! just go find a strait stick, tie on some feathers and a sharp rock on the other end and there  you have it!

ok that is probably the biggest lie on the internet right now. arrows are EXTREAMLY difficult to make propperly, and everyone has different little tricks and meathods. there is far to much knowledge about it to be given in one sitting, but i'll tell ya what i know:

the first thing you gunna have to do is find some local shaft material. i dont know what grows up there, but privvet, sour wood, dogwood, and pretty much any kind of cane or bamboo will make an arrow.

once you get your shafts, go hide them and forget about them for about 2 months to a year, everyone tells me different drying times.

once they are dry, you have to heat straighten them, meaning that you have to heat up every little crook in the shaft untill it is kind of spongy, then bend it strait without breaking it, let it cool, then move on to the next crook.

once you get to that point, throw up another post and we'll try to help ya. good luck!
lets just shoot it