Author Topic: black bamboo backed ipe  (Read 2882 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
black bamboo backed ipe
« on: August 23, 2009, 10:34:20 pm »
Hi Folks,  I got some bamboo in a trade last year and it included a really nice piece of black bamboo.  I glued this stave up flat and started working on it last winter.  It's taken ~ 1 .25" of set.   The final bow is 50# at 28" and very sweet to shoot.  The long limbs and stiff tips make for a very smooth draw.
72" tip to tip 1 1/8 " wide near the fade, just under 1/4" at the tip.   I wouldn't call this a Holmegaard, but I did put some stiff narrowed tips on this bow.  The tip over lays are a layer of antler under Asian buffalo horn.  I added an arrow shelf of buffalo horn and a black leather handle wrap.
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: black bamboo backed ipe
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 10:35:26 pm »

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:36:12 pm »
nice bow.  REALLY like the shirt too man!!!!    :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:55:26 am »
Your bottom limb looks pretty good, but to me, it looks like your top limb is very stiff right out of the fade for about 6-8".

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 02:58:58 am »
Hi adb,  You may be right though I can't see it when looking at the bow.   Here's another full draw view for comparison.  You might try the oval tool test.  I use apple computors and don't have that tool available, or at least not in an easy to use form.  I've tried it on my own screen and the limbs match pretty closely.   But I won't swear my eye is perfect yet.   Ron

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 05:48:45 am »
Great bow, great shirt!  8) 8) 8)
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:53:15 am »
Looks good to me.Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 12:36:51 pm »
Thanks Pappy & Medicine Wheel!  Unfortunately there are days when the shirt lies.   Ron

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 01:10:18 pm »
Bookmarked under Aug Laminates for BOM!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday