Author Topic: red osire  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: red osire
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 12:01:43 am »
That's a constant with me, Xin! ;D
   My point was if there are other natural shafting materials, they should also be utilized or at least studied. I'm sure switch cane or river cane are not the only local shafting materials. Criverkat was asking specifically about red osier dogwood for arrows so I gave him my opinion of it for arrows. I'm sure he could grow red osier or silky dogwood or one of the other dogwoods in Texas. I don't know what grows locally for Criverkat but a search with the State University or Dept of Ag will get a list of shrub type plants that would potentially make good arrows. That's where the fun begins.  Red osier was one of the major Plains Indian shafting materials if I'm not mistaken.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Granite Mtn

Re: red osire
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 02:56:41 am »
Just for fun and goofing off I made a dozen willow arrows out of shoots I made along the tracks here in Alaska. I shot them out of bows in the 70 lbs range.  Was really impressed I brought some cane back from Texas two years ago (over 200 shafts), broke so many of them straightening them I threw the hole bunch in the fire.  I am used to working with hickory, Maybe cane doesn't suit my personality.  Everyone is going to have their own personal preferences but you can't know till you try!