Author Topic: String question  (Read 6332 times)

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
String question
« on: August 22, 2009, 06:07:39 pm »
what is the best string to use on a bow for the performance? Primitive and modern.

Offline Dano

Re: String question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 06:09:09 pm »
Well,  ;D of course Fast flight.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:16:22 pm »
I usually buy either B-50 or fast flight from 3river's....I have a hard enough time making a working bow....Im not ready to tackle strings and arrows yet  ::)

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 07:34:04 pm »
I like B-50. Some people like Fastflight better, but it's also been known to saw the tips of wooden bows off. For the primitive side, sinew is probably the best option.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 08:01:04 pm »
"but it's also been known to saw the tips of wooden bows off" I wish I knew where that came from, I've never seen wear on the tips of my bows and I have been using FF for the past five years. I think on recurves it is a must to reinforce the tip or pad the loop, but for longbows I don't see a problem. Course if you don't maintain your string and bow, if you don't clean the tips and string loops any material will cause a problem. JMHO ;D

Nevada

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:43:37 pm »
I like b-50 or linnen strings. Have not made a string out of rawhide or sinew yet, but want to. Fast flight has a habit of cracking boo or splintering wood  if the bow does not have tip overlays.
I have seen this.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:05:55 pm »
Dano, I haven't tried it myself, but I've had people who have made more (excellent) bows in the last year than I've made in my life tell me that they won't use it again after having tip damage on some bows, inclusing literally cutting a tip off. One guy only uses it if he puts phenolic overlays on. I've also heard many knowledgable people tell me that they've used it a lot with no problems. So I can't say personally, just go by what people tell me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 09:26:15 pm »
I have to agree with Hillbilly and Nugget on this one for sure.  I've seen fast flight ruin the tips on unprotected wooden nocks as well.  Also I think FF is less comfortable to shoot than B 50 due to the thin cross section.   I've only made one bow with a sinew string and I really like it.  It feels great in the hand and performs really well.
Traverse City, MI

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:52:57 pm »
get this in your head b50 thats all you need to know.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »
I guess some of us just get lucky with the stuff. ;D

Nevada

Offline TBod

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 03:41:24 pm »
My Dacron string is called B500 from BCY. Is that same as B50 or? Any difference?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 04:17:56 pm »
"but it's also been known to saw the tips of wooden bows off" I wish I knew where that came from, I've never seen wear on the tips of my bows ...

Same here!
There are woodbow archers who never tried and keep saying that, and there are woodbow archers who tried and used it ever since. I personally would always reinforce with overlays (hardwood is good enough), but I've seen several bows without it and no problem (mostly Osage).
Personal preferences I'd say!?
Frank from Germany...

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 12:20:58 am »
B-50 dacron is fine . BUT the modern materials are better! Sawed off tips.... have you ever sawed thru wood? Can you hear it? How long do you hear that sound before you check where it's coming from? Gentlemen you have probably made more and nicer bows then me, no doubt! Not three or maybe more have made as many strings. period And I have probably shot more, different types of bows than most! I'm not hear bragging, All my self bows have Modern material strings and I shoot the heaviest arrow possible! 

I have sawed thru pvc with a nylon boot shoe string, that is possible! A solid piece of Osage, Hickory, White Ash...... have you split wood ? We're talking a solid piece, not laminate or glued. If you have pics of the bows, please show me! And I also ask for the records of the treatment or abuse..ie light arrows, poor tiller, Whatever! Good shootin, Steve

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 12:39:21 am »
If you're talkin' pure performance, FF all the way. I use nothing but for heavy bows (>60#). However, the majority of my bows (especially self bows) are equipped with B50.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 12:43:45 am »
Fast flight will give you a few FPS over B50.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah