Author Topic: Home-made drying box  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Scrub_buck

Home-made drying box
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:33:32 pm »
I decided that I needed a drying box for what little bows I was going to play around with.  I went to lowes and got some insulative type fiberboard that is covered on one side with reflective foil material.  Torges in his video talked me into trying one not made of wood.  I beaded all the joints with a 'suped-up' adhesive caulk and covered all the contact edges with black duct tape.  For not being corner braced with any materials, it sure is pretty sturdy.  I think its will be OK as long as it is not dropped or kicked hard. 

I also fabricated the light source ... and have three sockets to make the heat.  I got 3 25 watt bulbs at the grocery store this AM and they will surely heat up that box!  I am a little concerned about the baffel.  Its held in place with three dowels running through the box, and the baffel itself is some of the same material I used to make the box.  I am going to have to keep an eye on it to make sure its not a fire hazard.  I might have to experiment with the bulbs and wattages to get it the correct temperature.

The drying chamber is not that big, but I am sure it will hold a few bow blanks and some bamboo backing.  I think it will handle the bow volume I plan on working with from time to time.  I haven't shaped the friction doors yet ... but that will take maybe 10 minutes ... and I should be good to go with some force drying.  Any comments or feed-back???

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:47:05 pm by Scrub_buck »

Offline TBod

Re: Home-made drying box
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 03:26:29 pm »
Cool stuff!
I would have replace the shelf with some sticks or something. The shelf (or is it baffel?) is blocking the heat. Then you can use 15 watts instead.

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:45:13 pm »
Looks good. During the short HOT summers we have here in michigan, l use my car and truck as hot boxes and it works pretty good.  ;D

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:26:51 pm »
Very nice , the only concern that I would have with what you used  is the lamp cord - it's fine if your only going to keep the wattage bulbs @25 watts ea . I would have used SO or SJO cord - be sure to check the cord so it dosen't heat up to the touch while in use and for safety's sake plug it into a GFCI outlet , another thing is you can use a thermostat to regulate the temperature .  ;D
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin