Author Topic: Bow drill help  (Read 3424 times)

CodyCoyote

Bow drill help
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:17:36 pm »
Im trying the bow drill method of fire but all i get is smoke  and some ash piled up but its not red hot to make fire... what am i doing wrong???

Offline aaron

Re: Bow drill help
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:33:21 pm »
what woods are you using? what diameter spindle?
 I have found that different drills from the same wood type do not nececarily work equally well- you might try a different drill and hearth. It took me a month of trying to get my first hand drill fire.
when you have some good smoke comming and "ash" piling up (a.k.a.char), try making a few "furious" passes, that is a few runs down the drill with all your effort.
also remember to BREATHE the whole time.
keep trying- you'll get it!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

CodyCoyote

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:47:15 pm »
Ceder spindle about 1/2 inch wide and a pine board

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:31:26 pm »
Pine is usually a little too oily to use as a board or spindle.  Unless it is very well aged and dried out.  I've seen it done with pine, but it wouldn't be my first choice.  Go for a Cedar on Cedar combo.  Just dry it out well.   Like Aaron said give it some really fast passes with lots of down pressure when you start getting plenty of smoke.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 02:33:45 pm »
Something my brother does when it's wet out or he's tired and he's trying to get a coal, is he sees just how long he can keep it up. Somtimes the pile needs to be very large, as to protect the inside and keep it warm and dry. It was damp out the other evening and he sat there spinning for several minutes before he stopped- had a nice fat little coal iside a mountain of char. It took him a while, but he was calm and steady and got it :). I've done the same thing on occasion with the hand drill, but my arms aren't strong enough to keep it going as long as necessary sometimes.

gradog

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:31:51 pm »
I was watching a demo at Denton Hill. The demonstrator said the pie shaped notch size is very important. She said the total angle should be 45 degrees.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:29:09 pm »
My demostrater stressed three things, excellent form , good materials, and maybe most important good mindset, It really helps me when My mind is only on making the fire not worrying whether I should be mowing lawn or some other cluttering of the mind, oh yeah an breath, many people hold there breath. Later Bob