Author Topic: New Bow: to arrow rest or not???  (Read 6433 times)

Offline smokeu

New Bow: to arrow rest or not???
« on: August 21, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »
I am in the process of building a new hunting weapon and would like to go sans arrow rest, but dont have much clue how to shoot properly without one. The few times i tried seemed a bit awkward, and my flethching seemed like it wanted to cut as it passed my knuckles.  If you could share tips or techniques I would be very grateful.

Thanks<

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New Bow: to arrow rest or not???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:14:26 pm »
Mike, I make my bows without arrow rest but I use a "floppy rest" and that protects my hand from the fletching. I also wrap the forward end of the fletching so the quill doesn't cut or skewer my hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:44:16 pm »
I like to stack leather and build a rest, the floppy is too inconsistent for my bad form.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:52:51 pm »
I glue a little piece of antler on most of my bows.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:08:46 pm »
I glued antelope horn on my last bow and it seems that my fletching catches on it  >:( ....I think on the next bow Im gonna try stacking leather to build one...or cut one in the wood itself

-Ky
GBR!

Offline yazoo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 06:14:55 pm »
I think shooting off the knuckle inproves your fletching ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline smokeu

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 06:17:53 pm »
Can you elaborate on that yazoo?

thanks,

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

radius

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 06:31:05 pm »
just wear a thin leather glove and make an arrow pass mark on the correct side of the bow...your hand placement being the same each time gives consistency and the fletching won't cut ur hand so badly...been there done that...

on the other hand...

you can wrap the handle with hemp or jute  and build an arrow rest out of that.  just add a ton of layers in the right spot.  epoxy it and ur good to go

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 08:27:10 pm »
i like a rest i cut some of my bows with a shelf and sight window. some of them i use harness leather to make a shelf. if i had to count on hand placement the same every time i would be screwed.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 09:20:22 pm »
LOL, yazoo. smokeu, skive the leading edges of your fletching. You could also wrap your fletching with art. sinew or any thread really. Wrap the leading edges as well. More info on my site including handle info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 09:57:45 pm »
I like some of my bows without rests, in that case I stop the wrap where I want the arrow to ''rest"  that way I put it on the same spot consistently.  Also like George said.  Make sure you shave the leading edge of the feather down and wrap with sinew.  Your  finger will get a little raw at first, but you will build up a callous and you won't even notice after a while.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 11:49:46 pm »
I've built several bows without a rest and I shoot them just fine. I burnish the front of my fletching and then apply a drop of glue. I've never had a problem with fletching cutting my hand.
Gordon

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 12:35:14 am »
I have made one bow with out an arrow rest.  Shoots fine, but I prefer to put a piece of bone or antler or leather there.  Just for consistnecy.
Westminster, MD

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 04:20:58 am »
just wear a thin leather glove and make an arrow pass mark on the correct side of the bow...your hand placement being the same each time gives consistency and the fletching won't cut ur hand so badly...been there done that...
That's exactly what I was going to say...having the nocking point slightly higher on the string is also meant to stop it cutting your knuckles.
Mind I quite like the scars I have on that knuckle :P

Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 09:26:38 am »
I usually glue a small leather rest on most of mine unless it's a ELB or Native American style bow. An arrow rest certainly isn't necessary, but it's nice to have on a hunting bow where you might be wearing gloves when you shoot-that can change your point of contact and throw off your shot big time if you're shooting off the knuckle. Like everybody else said, wrap those fletchings.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.