Author Topic: yew branch worth it?  (Read 4291 times)

Offline snedeker

yew branch worth it?
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:46:43 pm »
I noticed some huge yew shrubs next to a 100 year old building on a large educational institution here in central pa.  Inside, there are straight limbs of 3 inch diameter sticking out on the horizontal.  One cound snip off a six foot length. Think this type yew would serve?> Its at about 1200 feet elevation..  I could probably talk somebody in landscaping into it.

Dave

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: yew branch worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:30:19 pm »
3" is a bit thin... might make a small bow.
If that's 3" at the thinest end you may get a servicable bow ...but that's most of the fun, teasing the bow out of the wood...maybe it wants to be a bow, maybe it'll be a grumpy twisted knotty old old thing. But hey, if it won't do any any harm harvesting it, go for it.
I've made miniatures out of tiny prunings... so it's gotta be good for something, if only experience.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline acker

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 04:42:22 pm »
No problem!
The Wikings used small yew trees for bowmaking.
3" /d  will sued you fine for that sort of bow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 04:46:44 pm »
Dave, Follow Gordon's hazel nut bow build along. I'd bet you will come out with a pretty good bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 05:05:04 pm »
Dave, one of my best yew bows was from a 3" trunck, so I got to think that a limb would be a worthy effort.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 05:48:26 pm »
I have alway wanted to make a flatbow yew wood with a sapling so the back of my handle is white sapwood  and limbs are as usual heartwood and sapwood.  I have seen it make good bows.
Westminster, MD

radius

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:48 pm »
dude a 3" branch might be enough for two bows

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:46:08 pm »
One good thing is that its 3" throughout  the length. One could carefully split it with a hand circular saw. A good strategy is too saw not all the way through to avoid warping while drying.    I'll probably go talk to the landscaping guys and see if I can cut it.

radius

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 10:04:41 pm »
probly have more luck asking forgiveness than permission on that one, dude

as for splitting it, a hatchet, rubber mallet, and a couple wooden wedges are all i use to go through yew that size.  cut it, leave it a month, it'll split like a dream, then leave the pieces another while before tillering.

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:31:02 pm »
CHOP THAT THING DOWN!!!  AND MAKE A BOW OUT OF IT!!!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 02:28:33 pm »
You bet! Go for it! I have a small book somewhere I bougt back in the late '80s about that same type of bow. It was wrote by an English bowyer, who said do to the scarcity of yew to cut , they would cut the boughs for bows! The curing process was kind of quick. I will try to find it and post back . Good shootin, Steve

Offline snedeker

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 05:21:08 pm »
I will conceal .. I mean pack up my little pruning saw

Dave