Author Topic: Speaking of warping and twisting while drying - red elm  (Read 2501 times)

Offline snedeker

Speaking of warping and twisting while drying - red elm
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:52:29 pm »
I cut a red elm 7" in diameter in a really nasty little draw in one the thickest vegetated, most broken country patches I've ever seen in Pennsylvania - in early July.  Some Beagle friends accompanied me.  I brought it back and that night split it in half and debarked, sealed ends.  It was really wet.  Next morning I noticed some amazing checking diagonal across the grain.  I split six staves. Put them in a semi breezy shed area for a couple weeks for prelim drying, then in attic.  Five turned into shapes that look like clown-made long balloon toys.   One's okay.  Wood is funny stuff isnt it.

Dave

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: Speaking of warping and twisting while drying - red elm
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:42:39 pm »
I had a straight stave of elm and started making an ELB out of it...
Dang thing started to warp on me and the ends both bent to where it looks like a goofy wooden longhorn... yep, wood has a mind of it's own.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 12:11:18 am »
i hada limb from some elm,split it into two staves
when it dried,one was some what straight with some serious reflex,
the other looked like a piece of licorice it twisted around so bad
both went to the neighbor for his fire pit
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:13:25 am »
Yep, elm will do that if you take it down to much while its wet. Better to leave it in larger half splits and such for preliminary drying.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:28:44 am »
It might be best the first couple of months for it to dry slow if possible...getting rid of the moisture slow instead of quickly. Maybe keep it in a basement or similar place. Like Ryan said, leave it in larger pieces that aren't likely to worp and wait until several months into the process and then reduce them down.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

DCM

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 09:35:24 am »
Oh baby.  I've had it get all noodley even after fully seasoned.  Had one piece that would pinch the skill saw every few inches as I was trying to kerf it for a split.  I've had fair luck reducing it do near bow size than then clamping it down to something.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 05:23:38 pm »
I had planned to leave it in halves for a while but I thought maybe that was causing the checking - I mean deep, fissure like checking.  One wonders why the single stave did not twist and warp.  If I get one bow, it will have been worth it. It was a quick cut and carry

Dave