Author Topic: Just got back from the Smithsonian....  (Read 6814 times)

Offline billy

Just got back from the Smithsonian....
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:47:52 am »
Hi everyone.  I just got back this evening after driving up to the Smithsonian to do the research and take photos of the bows, arrows and quivers that will be published in Primitive Archer. WOW... you guys are gonna be in for a real treat.  I got to see some really, REALLY cool stuff, and I'm absolutely jazzed that I'll be able to share these with all of you. 

Of course, some of the bows I saw were kinda crude.  I saw one Paiute bow that was rather ugly...but even then it was really cool to see and examine. 

I do have some really cool pics of an entire Comanche set (bow, arrows and quiver).  This set was collected in 1868!!!!

And the northern California bows are gonna blow you away....I have photos of one that is so reflexed that you won't believe it! 

I'm not gonna give anything more away....that's for ya'll to see in the articles.  But let's just say this is gonna be a fascinating series of articles for all of you to share, learn from, and enjoy.  I can't wait to get these done and sent in to PA...... this is gonna be AWESOME!!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:37:42 am by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Just got back from the Smithsonian....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:16:39 am »
My wife asked me this evening about the guy going to the Smithsonian to research bows and arrows. Billy, I can't wait to read your series of articles and drool over the pics.
  Did you get any ideas for bows or other  implements?  Come on, just a tease! ;D
   Your excitement makes me excited. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:36:46 am »
Hey PAt,

I'm so glad you're excited...because I am!! 

I didn't really get any ideas for other bows though.  I like my longbows because they fit me.  However, the one thing that continually surprises me is the relatively small size of the weapons that I've seen.  The longest bow I saw was a Cherokee bow (62 inches), but even then the arrows were not nearly as thick in diameter as the cane arrows I make.  In general, the indian weapons tend to be much smaller, sleeker, and more elegant than the big, beefy bows and large, heavy arrows that we shoot today.  Maybe that's because we are taller than indians.  But whatever the reason, it is fascinating to examine and handle weapons that were made by people who actually based their survival on them. 

Some of the bows were crude...but some of them were so incredibly well made that you aren't gonna believe it.  Those indians were able to do things with wood that you wouldn't believe.....just wait till you see the pics of the super-reflexed Hupa bow! 

Marietta, Georgia

Offline Traxx

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 02:57:56 am »
Interesting observations Billy.I have found the same thing in my examinations of antique weapons,especially of  the arrows.Some original Maidu arrows i looked at were very small compared to what people use today.about 32" long but only about 1/4" diameter.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 03:11:17 am »
I also look foreward to the article and the questions leading to subsequent discusions that will follow.I think it will challenge the stigmas associated with not only early native archery,but the way we look at modern archery as well.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 07:08:18 am »
Can't wait to see your article's,this will be great.Thanks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:25:03 am »
I am so excited
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Cromm

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 08:45:32 am »
WoW I cannot wait to see what you have to write and the photo's of the items!!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:29:26 am »
Great, Billy! Thanks for sharing all of that with us. I can't wait for the articles. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

huckfinn

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:22:06 am »
Can't wait to seeeeeeeeee

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:31:56 am »
I recently went to the Native american Smithsonian in DC and was disappointed there wasn't more archery gear.
Westminster, MD

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:15:30 pm »
Can't wait!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:11:57 pm »
Billy, from the teasing session you've given us so far...I'm really looking forward to the articles! Sounds like it will trully be a learning experience, and maybe will re-open some doors from the past when considering potential bow designs. Thanks in advance for the articles! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 09:33:04 pm »
Now I'm even excited :o
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

omahabows

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 12:11:09 am »
Billy-what issue are these pics going to be in?thanks,Marty