Author Topic: question about hackberry stave  (Read 1625 times)

Offline sweeney3

question about hackberry stave
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:46:18 pm »
Hey folks,
I just cut and split a nice hackberry into quarter staves, and when I got the bark peeled off the first one I saw that there is a black spot (rot maybe?  insect damage maybe?) that is maybe two inches long and about a growth ring deep.  It is right smack in the middle of the stave from just about all directions.  I had been planning on a 66' selfbow, but with that in the way I can't make the long, 2" wide design I wanted to try.  At best, I could make a 60" bow that stops just short of that spot.   I was wondering does anyone have any better ideas?  Maybe a design for a short flatbow or a design idea that would allow me to work around that spot?  I'm pretty new to making bows and don't want that sucker blowing up all over the place. 

Other than that spot, it's a nice looking piece of wood.  Couple of knots, but looks good.  I want to get the others peeled and take a look at them too.  If I can figure it out, I'll try and post some pictures of it if that will help.  I'm pretty computer-stupid though, so it may never happen.  It's a pretty good drive just for me to get someplace with internet.

I'll be checking.  Thanks for any ideas!
Dan

Offline sulphur

Re: question about hackberry stave
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:57:31 pm »
 I have chased a ring on hackberry before.  its not to difficult.  I have also made short bows of hack.  a 60" bend through the handle is do- able .   You could also sinew back it and make a recurve.  lots of possiblities.  Hackberrry is tough wood.  I only have one good stave left and wish i had some more!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question about hackberry stave
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 11:07:04 pm »
If the blemish is in the geographic center of the stave you are in good shape. That's where the handle goes and it is usually a non-bending area of the bow.
  Is the mark just a discoloration?..or is it a tunnel or channel in the wood?
  If you have pictures in "My Pictures" on your computer you can click on the "Additional Options" on the bottom left of the Reply screen. That will bring up your "My Pictures". You search for your pictures and open the one you want to post. You can do this 6 times with each post.
  It took me 2 years before I could figure it out but if I can anyone can! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC