Author Topic: I started my lbl bow today  (Read 7086 times)

Offline yazoo

I started my lbl bow today
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:59:33 pm »
is it too soon to mention lbl, I decided to make me a new bow  just for this years hunt,I think maybe we should show up in camp with a stave and haft to make the bow there then hunt with it,,  ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: I started my lbl bow today
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 03:45:12 am »
is it too soon to mention lbl, I decided to make me a new bow  just for this years hunt,I think maybe we should show up in camp with a stave and haft to make the bow there then hunt with it,,  ;D
Probably not for those who know what lbl stands for ???
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:10:30 am »
Sounds like a winner to me. Del  LBL is [land between the lakes] a bunch of us meet there the
week after Christmas for a hunt. Lots of selfbows , You can bring a recurve or longbow but no
wheels at least not in our camp. ;) :) Fun hunt. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:18:03 am »
Del, LBL stands for "Land Between the Lakes". It is a section of land that was taken over by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) back in the early 60's I think or maybe late 50's when they were in the process of making some dam's. The land lie's between Barkley and Kentucky Lakes on the Tn/Ky border. I forget exactly how many acre's there is...someone may chime in with that info. It has always been a good place to hunt. Some of us Twin Oak's guys and friends from all points of the compass have been meeting for several years there the week after Christmas for a hunt. Very tough hunting and limited success from a harvest standpoint, but always a good time! :)

BigA got this buck at LBL I think during the 2004 season...it was pretty cool because he shot it with a bow from a piece of osage he and I had cut from behind my parents house back during the 80's, and this was the first deer he got with it. I was across a field from Anthony and was able to see the whole event happen when he shot the deer. It was a very special moment... ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:43:27 am by GregB »
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:22:19 am »
it's a couple of hundred 000 acre's.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:33:31 am »
LBL 2008-09

Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:35:28 am »
Are you donating everone a stave to work on Mike?  >:D....lol.  O:)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 12:00:36 pm »
Man I'd like to be in on that.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mox1968

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »
man I wish bow hunting was legal in ireland!!
I would love the chance to try it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 02:38:46 pm »
Del, LBL stands for "Land Between the Lakes". It is a section of land that was taken over by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) back in the early 60's I think or maybe late 50's when they were in the process of making some dam's. The land lie's between Barkley and Kentucky Lakes on the Tn/Ky border. I forget exactly how many acre's there is...someone may chime in with that info. It has always been a good place to hunt. Some of us Twin Oak's guys and friends from all points of the compass have been meeting for several years there the week after Christmas for a hunt. Very tough hunting and limited success from a harvest standpoint, but always a good time! :)

BigA got this buck at LBL I think during the 2004 season...it was pretty cool because he shot it with a bow from a piece of osage he and I had cut from behind my parents house back during the 80's, and this was the first deer he got with it. I was across a field from Anthony and was able to see the whole event happen when he shot the deer. It was a very special moment... ;)
Cheers, thanks for the explanation... to shoot a Deer with a bow you made yourself, that's something special. Saw a buck and two of his ladies run across the road in front of me today....no bowhunting allowed in the UK, would have made a great shot with my longbow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 03:47:39 pm »
I cant decide which one to these any suggestions,I talked to gary this week he got to talking bows and lbl and got me ready to go, and ryano If anyone wants to make a bow there to hunt with, I will bring a some staves, I may bring you a special one >:D   I am leaning toward the middle one, I think I can get it center shot,  I put in some hours this week,so far I have done 37 blanks and the weeks not over,,but I hear the fish are bitting ;D

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:01:02 pm by yazoo »
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 05:47:34 pm »
I've spent some time in the LBL, but only for historical reenactments. Sounds like a great trip, what does out of state license cost in the LBL? It would be great to do a build and shoot trip.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 12:22:53 am »
Looks like y'all are havin some great times. I grew up in Marshall County, Ky, about 20 miles from LBL. There is some super huntin there. It has been many years since I hunted there. There used to be some great Fallow deer huntin there as well. Lots a Turkey too. I used to hunt in and around the Golden Pond area.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 01:33:49 am »
WOW!  That sounds like a fun hunt.  There's a lot of "if's" in my primitive bow hunting life, like will my bow hold together and will I learn to shoot it.  But, I'd love join you all on this outing.  I'm in eastern KY.  LBL is 7 or 8 hours away.  It would be worth the trip to meet you all.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 09:49:34 am »
well i am guessing that this "LBL" cant be to far down south by the snow on the ground
but i stil aint got a clue where it is,so i gotta ask
where the heck is "LBL"?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd