Author Topic: Copperhead skins  (Read 5896 times)

Offline bigcountry

Copperhead skins
« on: August 15, 2009, 02:28:50 am »
I got a pair of copperhead skins.   And holy cow, they are thinner than paper.  Downright delicate if you ask me.  Does this sounds right?  I never seen a set of skins so thin.  I am wondering if I got the real thing.
Westminster, MD

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Copperhead skins
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 05:24:13 am »
They're real ;)
 That's what I like about them.  Real easy to get a good finish over 'em.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:49:12 am »
Yes, if they're just dried, they're very thin. Which is what you want. Tanned hides are thick like leather, but don't work for backing bows. Glue on your skins with TB3 and they'll look great. They're actually tougher than you think, but they will rip if you get too rough.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:52:07 am »
Copperhead skins are very thin.   When you apply them you don't have to wrap them with anything. Soak them, remove the excess moisture, add glue to the bows back and skins, lay them down, remove the air bubbles and excess glue and let them dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:27:48 am »
Thanks guys.  They are pretty.  I know I put on a set of canebrakes and that stuff was like leather.  They were dried, I can see how copperhead may be easy to apply. 

I wonder how much a set of 30" skins can stretch when wet?
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:38:43 am »
Don't stretch them or they will tear, especially when wet.. Lay them down, work out the bubbles and excess glue and let them dry!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:22:02 pm »
Pat, you probably just saved me the skins.  The guy I bought them from said I could stretch em another few inches when wet.  I am glad I asked this question.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 12:42:08 pm »
I posted a pic for you on TradGang(bowyers Bench) of a guava bow I made with copperhead skins a few years ago. This is on a self bow and not exactly what your application is ( ;) ) but it might help with the coloration thing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 12:43:57 pm »
...also, if the skins are not long enough, as with my bow, a simple thread wrap set in super glue, makes a good solid termination.

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 01:05:16 pm »
Here's a method I like if the skins are too short.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 01:38:10 pm »
Here's another version of what Dano does, only with copperheads.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 04:19:12 pm »
Nice pictures.  I kinda like the sinew look but not the weather resistance.  Thanks again.
Westminster, MD