Author Topic: When to apply rawhide?  (Read 2936 times)

radius

When to apply rawhide?
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:38:34 pm »
Hey guys, after all the effort i went through to bring home this load of yew with rotten sapwood, i don't wanna turf it, but i have to dig an inch past the bark to get to useable wood.  I've made 2 bows from it so far, and both have broken.  I guess i should put rawhide on there, since Gordon tells me silk is not strong enough a backing...but i've never done this before and i wonder:

Can i put the rawhide on after the thing is floor-tillered?  Seems like a risk to  leave it until the bow is fully bending, because then it might just break. 

If i do it this way, how long after the rawhide goes on do i have to wait before i'm able to tiller the bow?

Thanks

Offline woodstick

Re: When to apply rawhide?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:37:53 pm »
i use rawhide alot and i put it on when i get it bending a little bit. and i wrap it let it dry for about 24 hrs unwrap  it let dry for another 24 then go to town on it.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:12:13 pm »
Do what woodstick said.
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:16:13 am »
Thats what I do also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:28:57 am »
I put it on after long string tillering and before stringing it with the short string. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 12:28:46 pm »
I apply my rawhide a little later, usually after first low brace. It's a fair bit of work to apply, and I want to know that the stave is going to hold together before I go through the trouble. I think of rawhide backing as an insurance policy on an otherwise sturdy foundation.

radius

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:27:23 pm »
thanks, i think from TBB1 that Mr. Strunk doesn't apply the rawhide until the bow is bent full tiller...but i think i'll try what you guys do instead...

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 01:53:10 am »
You can certainly back with rawhide after the bow is tillered - I've done that many times. But if the back is seriously compromised and the risk of breakage is high, then it would be prudent to back the bow earlier in the process.
Gordon

radius

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 01:52:39 pm »
well Gordon, you saw:  some of the yew i've got is actually maybe firewood...i'm gonna keep trying, though!