Author Topic: Which ring to chase  (Read 5229 times)

Offline bigcountry

Re: Which ring to chase
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 05:46:52 pm »
I myself would go down to that ring that Dano pointed out. I tried a belly split with bad results before. 
Westminster, MD

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 07:52:53 am »
The last bow I posted was a belly split, and we got two additional roughed in bows out of the top section. There may be a little risk, but as thick as those grains are in the area you'd split off the belly, I don't think you'd have much trouble. We do have a lot of osage though, and don't mind taking risks with a piece. Your decision... ;) :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

DCM

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 09:18:53 am »
Taking a belly split from a stave with that much crown will cost you two rings, at least.  It will yield a useless, other than as a bbo core upper split.  If you have enough depth, unlikely with that much crown, you could do it but it only serves to reduce the time getting to the one good stave.  And it risks that one good stave.  I've got osage running outa my ears, and I'm tight as they come, and I would not take a belly split off that stave.  I might take a core off the top with a bandsaw, but only if the stave was real nice and I had the chops on the saw to not cut into the good stave.  JMHO.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 10:05:40 am »
I splice a lot of billets and save the wedge shaped pieces when I cut the splices. The wedges are perfect for splitting off belly cores, lot less damage to the wood opposed to using steel wedges. Of course you have to start the split with steel and proceed with wood wedges.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 10:17:47 am »
That's the ring I'd go to also. Hard to say about the belly split. I'd probably do it but DCM has a good point. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 01:26:55 pm »
Im not going to do a belly split....I don't think I have enough experience to do it successfully.  I think I'll just stick to the old fashioned way and use my draw knife

Ky
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 04:02:55 pm »
Ky, take your time and remove each ring one at a time. You will earn a wealth of knowledge that way as you are removing the unwanted wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

sami bow

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 05:23:47 pm »
I have successfully split osage and ash wood along one ring, just to get two staves out of one. I usd small  osage wedges and marked the ring I wanted to follow and wedged all the way around the stave on the same ring and popped it apart cleanly. That was on staves with no or almost no knots and thick rings.

If clear enough, you may be able to pop off the layer of thin rings and still use them for a kids bow.

Not a guaranteed method though.  You have to start your crack with a little chisel and mallet, the start the wedges , and the wedges must be thin enough to follow the ring, but thick enough not to bend.