Author Topic: Which ring to chase  (Read 5372 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

Which ring to chase
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:43:04 pm »
Just want some opinions on which ring to chase for the back of my next bow...Im planning on recurving the tips.  It will be 60" long with a slightly deflexed handle.  Im going to be shooting for 50-60@28"...Thanks in advance

Ky
GBR!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Which ring to chase
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
well what kind of wood is it?  If it is osage, you want a thick, late growth ring underneath the bark and white sapwood.  If it is a white wood like maple, hickory, or hophornbeam, you can just peel the bark and that will be the back of your bow.   -josh
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:59:51 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:53:04 pm »
 ::) Sorry I was having trouble loading my pictures and yes it is osage

[attachment deleted by admin]
GBR!

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:00:14 pm »
I'd skip all those skinny ones. What's the other end look like?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:02:36 pm »
yeah that's the ring I'd pick, too.  I have tried chasing thinner rings before and it really will make you wanna throw your stave across the room when you get 95% of your stave done and then accidently cut through the ring you're chasing and have to chase it all the way back in the other direction.   >:(   <<<speaking from experience.    -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 02:16:37 pm »
Thats some ugly osage better send it to me ;D

Go for the first thick one :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 02:22:19 pm »
Oh yeah what was your nickname at the last Tennessee Classic DanaM?   Something to do with wood if I remember correctly?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »
Da Wood Whore, but I'm also a Rock Whore >:D Most just call me the Damn Yooper :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 02:28:53 pm »
I would chase the first complete ring. It is good practice and if you cut through you can chase the next. The problem with going down too far is that if you cut through the ring a couple of times you don't have enough wood left for a bow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 02:37:34 pm »
practice,practice,go for instinct(aprox. 1500 reps) :) :) :)

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 03:57:40 pm »
Thanks guys...just thought I would get some second opinions, Dano to answer your question the other end looks almost identical to this one....the only bad part is that all those skinny rings equal to almost an inch of wood I have to remove before I can chase that ring....but I guess that's why we have 24 hours in a day  :P

Ky
GBR!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 04:40:29 pm »
Thanks guys...just thought I would get some second opinions, Dano to answer your question the other end looks almost identical to this one....the only bad part is that all those skinny rings equal to almost an inch of wood I have to remove before I can chase that ring....but I guess that's why we have 24 hours in a day  :P

Ky
Whoa, If you are going to remove nearly 1", that's a bow's worth, Tke off 90% on a bandsaw and youve got another stave to play with, or make a miniature bow with those nice fine rings... Or E-mail the offcut stave to be...drat they havn't invented that facility yet :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 04:41:42 pm »
I'd split off the belly split by putting your wedge in parallel a couple rings above your choice thick ring. Then split the log full length. You'll probably be able to make a bow or two with the left over top section, although maybe not of as good a quality. We've done this several times before... ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:49:12 am by GregB »
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 04:59:33 pm »
I'm with Greg!  I hate wasting wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 05:44:01 pm »
Here's an idea, Take Greg's advice and take a belly split at the point I marked. Use the thin ringed stuff later when you feel more comfortable chasing thin rings, you'll prolly get a fine D bow out of it. I usually start a belly split with a good sized standard screwdriver and a hammer then follow it up with some small wedges.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada