Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

First Osage character bow build along

<< < (2/28) > >>

1/2primitive:
I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I believe there are a few people around me if I'm not mistaken.
cowboy, what I did (not always the best idea) was I used my draw knife to 'rough' rough it out, I guess. Then after I almost ruined a knot by spliting and getting plenty mad at myself, I switched to my course rasp to finish roughing out and it's in the floor tillering stage right now.
    I'm gettin' started early, today's a Saturday! ;D
                    Sean

Pat B:
Sean, Looks like you have plenty of wood there. I usually don't shape the handle area until last. I do mark it out so I can keep track of it. This gives me a place to clamp without hurting the bow.   What I'd do is to begin to taper from mid limb to the tips. but leave the tips a little wide, for adjustment, until tillering is complete. Use a rasp to do your shaping. It's slower but it will help you concentrate on each stroke so you have better controll. Leave knots along the edge proud and start reducing the belly. When you get to floor tiller stage change over to a scraper to remove wood on the belly unless there is a difficult area(knots & swirls) and use a rasp for those areas. 
   Most of all, have fun.  Posting pics as you go along will help us help you and will help you see things the naked eye misses.     Pat

koan:
Looks like your off to a great start. - Brian

1/2primitive:
Oops, I forgot to say, it's 62" long. Don't worry, I'm short so I'm only looking for a 23-24" draw length ;) and it's within 1"-1 1/2" wide throughout.
Pat, I now leave shaping the handle for close to last, but like I said I don't know what I was thinking when I started this one.

This is the belly, I like the redish color by the handle and the knots. Something happened and it turned one of the, late? growth rings red.

btw, what growth are the good rings, early? late?

It's bending now. The reflexed limb is on the bottom so it looks like it's not bending at all, but it is.

[attachment deleted by admin]

cowboy:
Sean - just in case. Where are you located in DFW? I'm in Springtown just a few miles West of Azle on 199, never know we may hook up some time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version