Author Topic: Stave haul  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Dane

Stave haul
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:07:34 pm »
Hi everyone. Long time no post, I guess, but I wanted to share this. I picked up a relatively large haul of staves yesterday, about 35 or 36 leaning against my car. Mostly hophornbeam cut in Western Massachusetts, but also some black cherry, black walnut, black locust, sugar maple, and some yew.

One stave is Pacific yew, and the other yew, including the small log, were harvested in Eastern Massachusetts. I had no idea until last week that yew grew in this state. A friend sold me the yew, and gave me the rest of the staves to cull out his wood pile. Chris Wood, a great guy, and nice to find another primitive bowyer near me.

I've got a hophornbeam bow in the works (acquired that stave this past May), a Neolithic flatbow, and have found hhb is just a great wood to work with. It loves draw knives and spokeshaves, and is just a pleasure to create with.

I hope all is well with all of you. Once the current bow is done, I'll post some photos. 

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline woodstick

Re: Stave haul
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 07:34:53 pm »
r u looking to trade some of them bows off? looks like alot of bows right there.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:45:57 pm »

Nice to hear from you Dane! Those staves ought to keep you busy for a while! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:49:07 pm »
Good stuff, Dane. Welcome back! If it's growing in MA it must be MA yew. LOL. I ever knew that either. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:35:38 pm »
Is the yew Taxus canadensis? I know a place in NC where it grows also.
  Nice haul Dane. That should keep you busy for a while.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:05:56 am »
Yew done good buddy :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 10:21:58 am »
Yew done good buddy :)

Thank yew. Coming from yew...ah, this wood is evil that way. :)

I was told English Yew, Pat. Messed with my head a bit, I always thought bow-quality yew grew in the Pacific Northwest only in the United States. This MA wood came from an estate that FDR used to vacation at, and has a connection to Thomas Jefferson's family as well.

Thanks Pat, George, Greg. Actually, I'm more excited about the hophornbeam then the yew. I will really have to take my time thinking about what to do with the yew. Rushing can wreck things even before you split a stave, let alone during tiller. I'm thinking of a Nydam bow, but not sure yet.

Woodstick, I'm going to hold onto this stuff for a while, but thanks for asking.

Dane

Offline woodstick

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:03:54 pm »
thanks but if you ever want to part with a stave give me a hollar. i like to try new wood. i use osage and thats bout it.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:13:06 pm »
Yew talking  to  me?
   The  more  I read  about  yew  bows the  more  I  read the  people  that  own  them really  bond  with them, hope  you  can  still  get good  yew  staves:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 03:50:48 am »
Hmmm, maybe I should try parking my car there if people just leave staves on it for you! ;D
Lucky fellah, I've only got a dozen in my garage, mind that'll keem me out from umder Mrs Cat's paws. ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 07:16:42 am »
Woodstick, those of us in non Osage country are orange with envy. Consider yourself lucky.

Zen, I will find out when I get around to it. It was sacred to the Druids and ancient Brits, the tree of life (which is odd, considering it is toxic, too. Maybe that is part of it, life and death intermingled. You cant have one without the other).

Del, thanks. They sort of stick to cars around here :) Up until now, I had about 5 in my garage at any one time. Feast or famine, I guess.

Dane