Author Topic: Tip Overlay For a Boo back  (Read 3806 times)

AKAPK

Tip Overlay For a Boo back
« on: August 08, 2009, 01:29:55 pm »
Can ya share some Ideas on how you would Repair A tip overlay like this, I strunger up  the second time and POP! , it's a booback. 
I need to know if I can use TB3 or I have 2 ton Apoxy Never repaired such a narrow Tip Before. I have Antler and Cow Horn, the Bow is a  Deep R&D. Thanks for any suggestions Don't want this Bow to go to waist,its 52# at 28" 64"NTN

Also need to know if about 1/3/4" is to high from center for The Arrow rest, did not seem to Pitch U/D when shooting it the first time.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:34:22 pm by AKAPK »

Offline sailordad

Re: Tip Overlay For a Boo back
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:35:34 pm »
dont know how to fix your overlay issue,
but if it seems to shoot good with the arrow pass that high then i would say no,you could try lowering it to 1.25" and see how it shoots.

good luck pk                                              peace,
                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 02:08:16 pm »
Do you know what glue was used to attach the tip overlays?   You can use TB glue, epoxy or super glue(gel) for overlays. Be sure the boo has had the rind removed and do a light sanding with fine sandpaper to prepare the surface.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 03:30:29 pm »
I would take it all off, flatten the surface and clue on a new overlay. I would use epoxy or superglue for that operation.
Frank from Germany...

AKAPK

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 03:56:09 pm »
It is pretty smooth underneath Looks to be super glued, I pretty sure it's the wood overlay that failed. as for the Arrow rest I never seen a bow With  that Height of rest, thought maybe it was because of the deep deflex,Got me ??? I'll just tinker with it and Hope it doesn't bust my head. :) Just glad It did'nt do that to the person I got it from ;)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 07:31:04 pm »
It looks like you may have had two problems that lead to the failure. From the picture it appears that the overlay fractured along a ring (assuming it was wood). If you use wood make sure the overlay is edge-biased relative to the back. The other problem may be that the tip is too thin and is flexing slightly when strung. A small amount of flex can undermine the glue-line between the overlay and back. I slightly flair the last couple inches of my tips to keep them stiff and prevent that from happening. Of course that is not possible now so make the overlay a little longer and the taper between the limb and string grove smooth and gradual.
Gordon

AKAPK

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 10:08:57 pm »
Thanks For the Help All, knowing me I got on it right away. Sorry about the blurry images I used my scanner.The notch at the tip is for the Stringer or String Saver.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 12:02:29 am »
AKAPK,

I hate to say this, but if that tip flexes at all the glue-line for the overlay pictured will likely fail at some point.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 04:27:40 am »
AKAPK,

I hate to say this, but if that tip flexes at all the glue-line for the overlay pictured will likely fail at some point.

Yes, I'm affraid Gordon is right!
Frank from Germany...

AKAPK

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 05:35:55 am »
well since I know your right, I will pike the bow at 2 " from the tips,that will give me 27"on each side of the fades. the riser is 10", that will give me a 64" tip to tip put different overlays more like a recurve glassback with string grooves, then I will cut the String noks at 1/2 " and that will leave me a bow that is 63" NTN. Instead of 28" Draw I will make it 26" which is closer to my draw, I should be able to get around the same weight as the bow was when I got it, I hope :)excepting if the tiller doesn't Change to much Whew! Major Project ::) Oh and then I need to Lower the Arrow rest to 1.25 from center ::) It will work 8)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 10:59:36 am »
Another option would be to replace the existing overlay with one that is longer and more gradually tapered from the front edge to the string grove. If you make the overlay out of two contrasting laminations it will look really nice and will decrease the likely-hood that it will separate due to tip flex.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 11:30:24 am »
Or a thin lamination a few inches long on the belly side of the tip would help stiffen it and keep the overlay from popping. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

AKAPK

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 02:17:31 pm »
I think If I use horn instead that will help with anger managment :)Thanks Gordon and Justin. your Advice always works.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 09:39:31 pm »
 PK, Take a razor blade and slide the tip overlay off and put another piece of fiddleback maple on and file it to match the other one. Or I can cut you two more pieces and send them to you. What did they do, run over the tip with a forklift?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 09:43:18 pm »
 Also, set the brace height at 6 1/2 to 6 3/4". I have a match set of Tonkin arrows that were made for that bow that shot like darts out of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?