Author Topic: anyone got any idea what i can knap down here?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline recurve shooter

anyone got any idea what i can knap down here?
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:54:15 am »
hi guys. i been practiceing on my whiskey and beer bottles (dont drink, but they seem to be the easyest to find) and i got to know the basics of this knapping buisness. now i want to find some real rock. my only problem is that there really are no head sized rocks like yall use down here. i dont know what to use.

all the rocks i can find are like half the size of my fist. can you even make a point out of that?

secondly, there are some rocks around here of some sort that i find in old burn piles that turned a red-orange and busted in the fire. some of those pieces are sharp as all get out. should i try to find a box full of those or what?

thanks for your time guys.
lets just shoot it

Offline StevenT

Re: anyone got any idea what i can knap down here?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:40:21 pm »
I am surprised someone hasn't suggested to just "Whack a few of the rocks and see what happens". I would be happy with red and orange rock if it flakes.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:02:44 pm »
north louisian has novaculite quarries,  and north missippi  has fort payne. central  missippi has quartsite ,. the small nodgules you have arte great for bird points!  its called citronell chert i think and just heat reat some in the yard or oven.  you can also use oldtv glass, or go tro a thrift store  and look for ask trays, casarole dishes, or what ever.  i think there in big easy  you'll find some glass shops  and ask ifthey have any slag glass. this is great stuff and you might find some awesome colors as well.  or you can go over to some of the other sites ad look for guys who do other than trade,look on paleo planet.  or, what you got to trade >:D

Offline xin

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 04:13:54 pm »
Plenty of citronelle chert in North Louisiana,butno Novaculite. The Novaculite is in Arkansas.  Grew up in NOLA.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:51:03 pm »
your right xin, it is arkansa.  damn all those teenage brain cells i wasted in my teens! :P

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:36:43 pm »
lol. i got alot on my hands right now, sticking to glass i reckon. thanks for all the tips guys.  ;D
lets just shoot it