Author Topic: need advice on first bow  (Read 3455 times)

Offline 1

need advice on first bow
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:29:58 pm »
I have a 64 inch piece of white oak and would like to know what the best design or dimensions would be I want to put some kind of backing probably burlap since i don't have sinew or raw hid any advice yall can give me will be appreciated  thanks

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: need advice on first bow
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:40:57 pm »
Kegan made a pretty nice sinew backed white oak bow....Im sure you could do something like that and just back it with burlap  ;D
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:21:04 pm »
If you peeled the bark to uncover the back, no backing is needed. If you are using a board bow and it has excellent grain(back and sides) no backing is needed(See Jawge's site). If you just want a backing burlap, linen, silk or brown grocery bag paper will all work and Tite-Bond glue or Elmer's glue will work to hold any of them to the bow.
   If you are new at bow building 64" is a bit short...but make the bow 1 3/4" to 2" wide at the fades and out half way to the tips then taper to 1/2" tips(for now). After tillering reduce the tip width to 3/8" or so. I would mark the center of the stave and mark off 2" to either side for your handle. Add 1 1/2" to 2" fades to that before going into the limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:58:14 am »
thanks Pat it is stave that i pealled the bark off of i wanted a backing so that the limbs would not break as easy

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:17:06 pm »
i like rawhide use it alot even on osage when back is 1 growth ring. kinda like insurance. maybe waste of time and $ but i like it.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:40:14 pm »
Kegan? You're the oak expert!

Offline 1

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 03:13:41 pm »
I've got the bow ruffed out, the stave is still green i noticed that the back is stating to check so i covered it with Elmer's wood glue. so my question is if i put a linen or burlap back will the bow still be OK

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:06:51 am »
Pics would be great.

Offline 1

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 04:58:37 pm »
sorry i don't have a camera

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 10:01:06 pm »
bryan the only advise i can give ya at this point on your first bow,since you havent finished it yet
dont,  stop  and run away from it as fast as you can
because if you finish it your in for lifetime addiction of making bows.
but it wont astop there either
next thing ya know,youll be making strings,then arrows,then knapping and damn who knows where from there
but if you must finish,and since your already here,you might as well give it a try but remember
if it doesnt work out with this one,there are a lot of trees out there just waiting to have all that isnt a bow removed from what is a bow inside
and the people here are the best,some as bowyers,others as knappers but all as people and they all will help
so beg or borrow a camera for the best input from these people.its hard to get the proper advise ifn they cant see what your talking about

good luck                                                      peace,
                                                                           tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline 1

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 07:58:03 pm »
sailordad I've already started making strings for my recurve and just doing that has got me hooked, about that camera school starts back on Thursday so maybe i can find a pretty girl how likes bows and has a camera ;D

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 01:09:07 am »
Bryan, that might be the most original pick-up line every.  "Hi Sally, I'm building a NA style bow, but I need picture to post online to get some advice from some experts.  Could you bring your camera over to my place this evening and take some picture for me."  Good luck with that.   ;)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw