Author Topic: Del's Latest Hazel Bow  (Read 5949 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Del's Latest Hazel Bow
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 07:57:17 am »
Nice job on the bow, it turned out really good. Looks like you shaped the overlays prior to gluing them in place other then maybe cutting the groove across the top?  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:36 am »
Nice job on the bow, it turned out really good. Looks like you shaped the overlays prior to gluing them in place other then maybe cutting the groove across the top?  :)
Yeh, I had 'em pretty much finished before I stuck 'em on... I was after a minimalist teardrop effect...with maybe a hint of Art Deco ::)?
Mind you can have too much minimalism   O:)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 01:34:48 pm »
Looks great.  Love the overlays   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

radius

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 01:40:23 pm »
too much minimalism...i hear a smart ass somewhere...!

way to go, on that bow

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 03:15:09 pm »
Nice bow, I've found a nice straight hazel about 5" dia. and wondered if it would make a decent bow, yours looks great , do you reckon it woulod make an ok 60# bow aswell?   how does it perform?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 03:50:32 pm »
Nice bow, I've found a nice straight hazel about 5" dia. and wondered if it would make a decent bow, yours looks great , do you reckon it woulod make an ok 60# bow aswell?   how does it perform?
Yeah I reckon you could get upto 60lb, the smaller of the two bows is 40lb. Here it is shooting...I originally thought it was birch :-[, but I'm 99% sure it's Hazel now. (The little wooden Deer in the background is something I made for Mrs Cat  :) )
Here's a pic of the stave before I worked it.

(I think the wallpaper is Bamboo ::) )
It's 60.5" ntn  2.25" at the widest, 2" mid limb and about 1/2" thick mid limb, it's tillered so the whole limb is working and is pretty fast for it's draw weight (compared to some of the club longbows).
Here it is on the tiller.

So if you make it a decent length 60 lb should be getable....Post some pics, I'd love to see a big Hazel bow, I've got my eye on some big old Hazel which our local council has marked with red spay paint as due for felling (too near the road) I may just get there first O:).
Del

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 03:54:52 pm »
Yeah I reckon you could get upto 60lb, the smaller of the two bows is 40lb. Here it is shooting (click on the pic to watch the video)...I originally thought it was birch :-[, but I'm 99% sure it's Hazel now. (The little wooden Deer in the background is something I made for Mrs Cat  :) )
Here's a pic of the stave before I worked it.

(I think the wallpaper is Bamboo ::) )
It's 60.5" ntn  2.25" at the widest, 2" mid limb and about 1/2" thick mid limb, it's tillered so the whole limb is working and is pretty fast for it's draw weight (compared to some of the club longbows).
Here it is on the tiller.

So if you make it a decent length 60 lb should be getable....Post some pics, I'd love to see a big Hazel bow, I've got my eye on some big old Hazel which our local council has marked with red spay paint as due for felling (too near the road) I may just get there first O:).
Del

Offline Dane

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 07:29:00 am »
Del, this is a handsome bow, ad the Homie is such a great design. The deer sculpture you made is great. Could you post a close up of that?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Timo

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 07:38:33 am »
Tiller is very nice on that bow.Great looking tips and strike inlay.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 01:49:19 pm »
Del, this is a handsome bow, ad the Homie is such a great design. The deer sculpture you made is great. Could you post a close up of that?

Dane
The Deer was exhibited locally and the people from the 'Gibberd Garden' wanted it, Mrs Cat said it was hers and was very flattered that it was in demand!
I made them a companion piece which I donated, it's in some illustrious company as they have some marvelous work by some famous artists (they have a web site). 'Mr Deer' has Yew antlers, and is made sturdy enough to withstand the attentions of children.
Here's a pic of the pair of 'em, before I sent him away (sob sob...I'm sooo cruel  :'( )

'Mr Deer' is a big hit with the children. :)
I heard one Mum saying 'don't touch' :( so I gently explained that it was made to be touched and enjoyed.
I still think the first one is the best, made out of old weathered Oak fencing...the piece of twisted gravelboard which forms one leg and the neck is what really gives it life. Here's a better close up. (The legs are moveable too which adds some fun.)

Del
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:58:37 pm by Del the cat »

Offline Dane

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 09:13:17 pm »
Those are both just wonderful! Really fun, and I bet get lots of smiles. I actually like the smaller one a bit more, but the larger one has his charms, too.

Thanks for posting these, Del.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts