Author Topic: Bowfishing Tips?  (Read 12604 times)

Offline Wildchild

Bowfishing Tips?
« on: August 10, 2009, 04:24:24 am »
Hey there, this last weekend i got to try bowfishing for the first time, and didnt seem to have much luck. I know that water "bends" light, so where im seeing something above water isnt exactly where it is below the surface, but it seemed that every time i loosed my arrow, it curved away from the fish as soon as it hit the water. does anyone know why it does that, and anything i could do to help prevent that in the future?

Wildchild
They may be able to take our guns...but when they do, they better beware our bows!

Independence, MO

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Bowfishing Tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:59:36 am »
Aim low. Lower. Lower. Lower. Then aim a little lower. Aim a ridiculous amount lower than you think you should. Then aim a little lower. ;D Took me a while to get the hang of it, too, but you'll get it going. Remember to aim lower. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 12:23:56 pm »
So where do you aim again Hillbilly?  :) :) LOL
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:05:31 pm »
i use the rough calculation of aiming 6" low for every 12" of depth the target is located in the water column.  this is usually dead on for carp but gar are another story all together.  good luck!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:43:50 pm »

i use the rough calculation of aiming 6" low for every 12" of depth the target is located in the water column.  this is usually dead on for carp but gar are another story all together.  good luck!

I wondered why you were always in the back of the boat punchin' on that calculator...;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:43:11 pm »
 I shoot gar when they roll on top of the water, don't have a calculator. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:06:30 pm »
Wildchild,the apparent bending of light is called "refraction",and causes objects under the water to appear" higher" than they actually are.You referred to your arrow "curving" away from your target,which should not be happening.Make sure your arrow is flying perfectly straight,and, if not,tune your outfit till it shoots good. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 12:02:42 am »
I shoot gar when they roll on top of the water, don't have a calculator. ;D

agreed. tell us what you are shooting for, what kind of watters you are in, ect. then we can give some more direct help.
lets just shoot it

Offline Wildchild

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 11:49:38 pm »
thanks to all for your help, and hillbilly, i guess i might just have to try aiming lower next time
and when i said the arrow curved, i guess i didnt really say that how i meant it, what i meant was that id shoot a little ahead of a swimming carp, and the arrow always ended up on either side of it, and it looked like it was changing direction when it hit the water.

and recurve shooter, i had been shooting for carp, my aunt loves hem (cant quite figger out why) and i told her id try to bring her some. I was at the Lake of the Ozarks in southern missouri, not particularly favorable for bowfishing because of the visibility, but its where i had to work with for now. i was shooting into not much more than 4ft of water.

thanks again to all
wildchild
They may be able to take our guns...but when they do, they better beware our bows!

Independence, MO

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 01:05:36 am »
Wildchild, with my limited bowfishing experience 4ft of water is DEEP to hit a fish, even if you're directly over it.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 02:10:53 am »
ok, thats kinda out of my element. im with mullet. shoot gar when they come to the surface.
lets just shoot it