Author Topic: Static recurve advice  (Read 2291 times)

bearbowman

Static recurve advice
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:32:33 pm »
I screwed up on a hickory stave. I piked the limbs a little and want to try flipping the tips.

I have never done this and I plan on using steam. My question is, is there a general dimension that you use as far as a form? I'm not sure if I can save this bow but I have never used steam to bend the wood and I just want to use this as a learning experience.
Thanks for any input.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Static recurve advice
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:37:58 pm »
i just eyeballed it and sketched out the form I made with a carpenter's pencil.  I then held the form up to the bow to get an idea of what the new curve would look like.  I erased my pencil marks several times till i got just the right curvature.   Then i used a jigsaw to cut my form out of a pine 2x6.    Just make sure you use the same deminsons for both limbs.   :) 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:34:30 pm by deftones3333 »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sailordad

Re: Static recurve advice
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:19:03 pm »
i did pretty much the same as deftones did
except i used a small plate to get the curve.

i have to ask why you want to use steam on such a hygroscopic wood?
i just use a heat gun when i bend in curves.not sayibg that you cant use steam,but you will have to wait a couple of weeks for the moisture to
disapate again from the wood.with a heat gun you just wait a day or two for the wood to rehydrate some

you will also want to use sone kind of strap on the belly side of the limb when making the curve,this helps keeps splinters down when bending the wood
also keep in mind if your tips are narrowed already,you may end up with some tip alignment issues after putting the curves in.
i try and leave the tips plenty wide untill after curving,this allows room to help get tips aligned and the string aligned down center
good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd